Established in 1988 by anti-apartheid activists, the South African History Archive (SAHA) is an independent, nonprofit, activist archive committed to documenting, supporting, and promoting greater awareness of historical and, since 1994, contemporary struggles for justice and accountability.
SAHA seeks to appoint a Paralegal – Freedom of Information Programme, to be based at SAHA offices, Constitution Hill, Johannesburg.
Job Title: Paralegal – Freedom of Information Programme
Report to: FOIP Coordinator
Start date: 2 July 2018
This is a six months contract, renewable depending on funding and performance.
- Draft, submit and manage PAIA requests through-out their life-cycle, including drafting internal appeals, pleadings, letters, briefs to advocates and other legal correspondence
- Do research in support of litigation and advocacy, particularly in relation to access to information related developments, policies and legislation
- Provide legal advice on behalf of SAHA in relation to all aspects of PAIA requests, and to SAHA in-house
- Prepare documents released under PAIA, for physical and digital archiving by the SAHA archival team
- Write research reports, case studies, news stories and press releases related to FOIP’s work
- Contribute to FOIP and SAHA’s applications, work plans and reports and assessments of strategy
- Supervise FOIP interns and other project workers, under the guidance of the FOIP Coordinator
- Support the work of the FOIP Coordinator
- LLB degree or postgraduate qualifications
- Minimum of one to three years’ relevant experience, including legal research and writing experience
- Critical thinking and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Research and computer skills, including literacy in Microsoft (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Ability to work closely with a diverse group of professionals and in a fast changing environment
- Demonstrable commitment to and interest in public interest law and social justice
- Experience working on access to information and related issues
- Fluency in at least one African language
To apply, submit this letter of motivation, along with your two to three page CV, a writing sample of no more than 1000 words that demonstrates your legal and writing skills, up-to-date contact details for at least two professional referees to [email protected]
The subject line of your email must include the following: FOIP Paralegal application 2018/05 – [Your Name].
Prepare a one to two-page letter of motivation (no more than 500 words) that addresses the following:
- The main barriers to the realisation of the right of access to information in South Africa today
- How you think PAIA could be used to challenge corruption and combat impunity in South Africa
- The key findings of a recent court judgement (judgement handed down in the last twelve months) of a high court, the Supreme Court of Appeal or the Constitutional Court – that related to PAIA
Application Closing Date: 8 June 2018.
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will be conducted at the SAHA offices in Johannesburg in week of 18 to 22 June 2018.