The South African Institute of International Affairs (SAIIA) based on the campus of the University of the Witwatersrand is an independent foreign policy and development think tank advancing a well-governed, peaceful, economically sustainable and globally engaged Africa.
Job Title: Accountant (ACC03/2020)
Employment type: 12-month contract, renewable based on performance
The purpose of this position is to find an accountant to support the overall integrity of financial reporting. The position will develop an in-depth understanding of project and programme budgets and will monitor and report programme financial performance in accordance with the requirements of the different donor and organisational requirements. He/she will support the production of the Institute’s management accounts and fixed assets register.
- The Accountant will:
- Prepare monthly donor reports, supporting schedules as well as monthly and annual reconciliations of expenditure of donor reports.
- Prepare monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
- Ensure that financial reports are timeously circulated, are accurate and reliable.
- Take responsibility for the fixed asset register and supporting processes.
- Assist the Head of Finance with compiling the management accounts.
- Support financial aspects of program audits and ensure audit requirements and recommendations are monitored.
- Provide support and coaching to the Junior Accountant.
- Ensure compliance with legislation, international accounting best practice and standards.
- Essential experience, skills, qualifications:
- A bachelors’ degree in accounting/financial management
- Accredited accountant from a recognised accountancy body – desirable
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in financial management and administration
- Advanced Excel skills, including complex financial formulae
- Experience in PASTEL accounting system
- Ability to create positive relationships with donors, project teams and other stakeholders across the organisation
- Excellent communication and written English skills
- Good planning and organisation skills
- Flexible approach to work and willing to play a full role in ensuring the success of the team
- Proven track record in preparing monthly management and donor reports to deadlines and required standards
Candidates for this position should submit a motivational letter quoting clearly the reference number of the position that they are applying for, a comprehensive CV, together with the names of three referees with their contact details to Shannon Gard ([email protected])
Application Deadline: Friday, 20 March, 2020