Posted on :
2 Jul, 2010
2 Jul, 2010
The South African Revenue Service (SARS) was established by legislation to collect revenue and ensure compliance with tax law. Its vision is to be an innovative revenue and customs agency that enhances economic growth and social development, and supports South Africa’s integration into the global economy in a way that benefits all citizens.
In accordance with the South African Revenue Service Act 34 of 1997, the service is an administratively autonomous organ of the state: it is outside the public service, but within the public administration. So although South Africa’s tax regime is set by the National Treasury, it is managed by SARS.
SARS aims to provide an enhanced, transparent and client-orientated service to ensure optimum and equitable collection of revenue.
Job Reference Number : TPS0003
Job Title : Personal Assistant
Position Reports to : Branch Manager
Division : Taxpayer Service
Department : Taxpayer Service Delivery – Branch Office
Location : Ashlea Gardens Pretoria
To provide an effective and efficient secretarial and administrative support service to relevant Senior Management. Includes ensuring proper policies and procedures are followed.
• Compiling, typing, distributing, follow up, filing and ensuring that all documentation is presented in a professional manner (documents, reports, mail, e-mail and invitations).
• Co-ordinate the diary regarding all meetings, workshops and functions (compile, distribute (e-mail/phone) and follow up all invitations).
• Arrange venues, beverages, meals and any other needs for meetings (within SARS’ premises and outside).
• Liaise, answer mini switchboard and direct enquires to appropriate divisions/persons. If managers are not able to assist the caller immediately, take messages.
• Booking of business trips, flights, hotels, vehicles and any other arrangements they might need.
• Compile and maintain list of needs in terms of furniture, equipment, etc.
• Order, purchase, distribute and maintain stationery stock.
• Arrange meetings when requested.
Payment and Expenditure:
• Confirm that there is enough money in the budget for expenditure to take place on day-to-day matters.
• Ensure correct information is matched between quotations and invoices, together with correct budget codes for monitoring of expenditure purposes.
• Ensure that original documentation is correctly compiled and authorized by cost centre manager and other signatories.
• Follow up to ensure timeous payment of accounts.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Thorough knowledge of SARS’ operational and strategic activities.
• Incumbent must understand change and be able to function in a changing environment. Must also be able to function independently, under pressure and have the ability to work with people.
• Computer literate, good knowledge of the following: MS Word, Excel and Power Point.
• Good writing and communication skills.
Education & Experience:
• Secretarial Diploma or a Senior Certificate and 2 years Secretarial experience.
The Employment Equity policy of SARS will be considered as part of the recruitment and selection process. For statistical purposes, please indicate your Equity status (race, gender and disability) on your CV.
Successful candidates will be required to undertake an oath of secrecy, pre-employment screening and or vetting, and a declaration of private interest. The appointment is also subject to appropriate reference(s) and security clearance if applicable.
Please complete the online CV template and save it on your computer, email it to [email protected] and indicate the reference number and the job title of the vacancy you are applying for in the subject line.