Posted on :
2 Jul, 2010
2 Jul, 2010
The South African Revenue Service (SARS) was established by legislation to collect revenue and ensure compliance with tax law. Its vision is to be an innovative revenue and customs agency that enhances economic growth and social development, and supports South Africa’s integration into the global economy in a way that benefits all citizens.
In accordance with the South African Revenue Service Act 34 of 1997, the service is an administratively autonomous organ of the state: it is outside the public service, but within the public administration. So although South Africa’s tax regime is set by the National Treasury, it is managed by SARS.
SARS aims to provide an enhanced, transparent and client-orientated service to ensure optimum and equitable collection of revenue.
Reference Number : TPS0004
Job position: Service Agent
• To act as first line of interface with SARS and to deliver/render a comprehensive service in respect of “standard/routine queries” inclusive of tax education to ensure better service delivery to enhance the public image of SARS.
• To ensure that all “standard queries” from clients are promptly, effectively and efficiently answered or resolved thereby improving the image of SARS as a service delivery organisation.
• To deliver a comprehensive one-stop client service to all SARS clients inclusive off standard queries and taxpayer education.
• To render a tax advisory service to all clients inclusive off rendering a law interpretation function.
• To act as first contact within a SARS office acting as ambassador for SARS.
• To perform all functions in respect of the completion of returns and other official documents of all taxes administered by SARS in order to meet clients needs and expectations.
• To provide a comprehensive service to all clients in respect of registration requirements, analysis of taxable income and incorrect assessments, calculations of tax debits/credits as well as verbal law interpretation and explanation of tax law, in order to meet client needs.
• To keep abreast of all new policies, procedures, and guidelines, circular minutes and amendments to all Tax legislation in order to promote the accuracy and quality off information provided to clients/taxpayers.
• To attend to all account enquiries received by telephone or in person, in respect off all outstanding debits and credits, penalties and interests with regards to all taxes administered by SARS.
• To furnish photocopies of any requested official documentation, within the ambit off the taxes administered by SARS.
• To provide additional service outside off the office in terms off tax education and presentations to clients, in order to promote the tax education off all clients and to broaden the tax base.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Knowledge of SARS product to the extent that SCA is familiar with all tax forms
• General knowledge of greater SARS functions (Processing, compliance, customs)
• Know scope of tax consultant function so that any hand-off can be justified
• Language: well spoken, fluent in at least 2 of the official languages within region
• experience with Q-print function of NITS and other SARS software (SARS Bank)
• Ability to capture query on templates
• Proficient in the use of MS Office and other windows based software
• Operational knowledge of queuing software.
Education & Experience:
• Matric with at least two years experience within a SARS discipline (preferably in assessing).
The Employment Equity policy of SARS will be considered as part of the recruitment and selection process. For statistical purposes, please indicate your Equity status (race, gender and disability) on your CV.
Successful candidates will be required to undertake an oath of secrecy, pre-employment screening and or vetting, and a declaration of private interest. The appointment is also subject to appropriate reference(s) and security clearance if applicable.
Please complete the online CV template and save it on your computer, email it to [email protected] and indicate the reference number and the job title of the vacancy you are applying for in the subject line.