Posted on :
18 Mar, 2011
18 Mar, 2011
Standard Bank is one of the big four banks in South Africa, and is a top ten company on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange. Standard Bank is involved in investment and retail banking, and has a substantial shareholding in Liberty Life. Standard Bank has offices in many countries around the world. Standard Bank of South Africa recruits Senior Developer
Main purpose of the job
The incumbent will support and develop applications in the Credit Risk IT portfolio. As such, the incumbent will design IT solutions based on specified business requirements, develop the solutions, test the solutions, participate in its release and provide the required documentation.
1. Effectively addressing production incidents by:
a. containing and mitigating the impact of the incident
b. diagnosing cause with multi-disciplinary team
c. developing a fix (including the elimination of root cause)
d. engaging relevant parties to deploy the fix.
2. Delivering system enhancements to continuously improve the system and meet changing business requirements by:
a. identifying opportunities to improve systems (e.g. robustness, technology upgrades and application of best practice)
b. designing technical solutions for specified requirements
c. developing the solution
d. unit and integration testing the developed solution
e. contributing to the release of system changes.
3. Delivering on governance requirements and best practice by:
a. ensuring adherence to technology best practice (e.g. soft configuration and virtualisation)
b. maintaining appropriate documentation regarding solution
c. ensuring required records are kept (e.g. test approvals) for audit purposes.
4. Deliver on the service requests (e.g. queries on database) raised by Business from time to time.
Key performance measures
• Stakeholder satisfaction with quality, predictability and rate of delivering solutions as established through 360 degree performance assessments.
• Quality of support and enhancements as established through peer reviews.
• Delivery of changes and fixes meet corporate governance requirements.
• Delivery achieved according to agreed plans.
• “Right first time” fixes and changes to applications.
• Appropriate Financial Services and Credit Risk business knowledge.
• Support of applications meets Service Level Agreement performance metrics.
Key dimensions of the job
• Able to work flexible hours when necessary when required (e.g. weekends).
• Sound knowledge of the end-to-end IT processes across various Divisions in the Group required to deliver and support global systems.
• Support and enhance a portfolio of 10 applications.
• Internal relationships:
• 5+ representatives from 5+ different IT areas establishing technical requirements and performing diagnosis and testing.
• Planning and managing delivery of changes across the technology stack with 5+ different IT areas.
• Engage other departmental staff – management, technical leads, developers and testers – to participate in planning and delivering support and enhancement requirements.
• External relationships:
• Engage vendors as sources of information and/or resources in resolving incidents and delivering enhancements.
Problem solving, planning and decision making
• The ability to identify and understand the business needs and strategies and then to interpret and convert these into operational reality.
• Analyse incidents to establish cause, develop and implement fixes, and communicate status fix problems under time pressure.
• The incumbent must lead a multi-disciplinary team to establish the root cause of production incidents – across the technology stack (application to infrastructure) – to preventing recurrence by enhancing the solution.
• Ensure that requirements are completely defined with incomplete knowledge by contributors.
• The incumbent will need to be able to constantly challenge established thinking and to facilitate constructive discussions that lead to continuous improvement in systems and processes.
• The incumbent will need to balance demand and capacity (of all contributors to the end to end SDLC) in planning delivery with stakeholders with a 6 month horizon.
• Ensure change requirements, priorities and solution designs are aligned with the unfolding business and technology architecture (one year view).
• Incorporate interdependencies with other applications and external resources into planning.
• Identify and facilitate decision making as and when required during the SDLC.
• Ensure governance is properly established and adhered to during decision making.