We seek an Intern to support teachers and learner learners in a way that creates a strong culture combining a love of learning and rigor.
About Our Organisation
Streetlight: Jeppestown is a primary school located in Johannesburg’s central business district. Launched in 2016, it currently serves 185 students Grades R-3, and will continue to grow by one grade each year until Grade 7. We aim to provide a supportive environment for students and staff to enable them to learn and grow.
Our parent organization, Streetlight Schools, is a non-profit whose vision is to provide the neediest children the most innovative, effective and transformative teachers and schools to help them unlock their full potential. Streetlight Schools realizes this vision by launching schools in inner-city communities in Johannesburg, including its first school, Streetlight: Jeppestown.
Reports To: School Leader.
Position Responsibilities of the Ideal Candidate
Key tasks and responsibilities:
- Assist the teaching teams in 1. classroom activities; 2. preparing learning and teaching resources
- Take on break duties according to the school’s need, ensuring a safe and positive environment for the children during breaks and that students have access to engaging play activities.
- take on extracurricular, aftercare and play-based activities.
- adapt and practice the responsive classroom principles with the students.
- take initiative and contribute to an inclusive and positive working environment among staff.
Studying towards a Teaching degree. Preferably in 2nd or 3rd-year tertiary
No experience will learn on the job
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate and interact with others in the school
- Must be able to show initiative and be proactive
- Willingness to adhere to the school’s values, culture, and pedagogical approaches.
- Prove excellent skills and ability to take care of and socialize with the students as well as the school staff.
- Appropriate training in the use of ICT packages.
- Ability to prioritize and manage issues and work tasks, excellent organization skills, ability to meet deadlines
- The desire to work in low-income communities in an urbanizing environment, ability to relate well to children and adults and promote the school in the wider community
- Ability to work constructively as part of the team of Streetlight Schools, willing to engage in building an innovative and effective learning environment for children
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Proficiency in one or more indigenous South Africa Language
- Strong Leader
- Nurturing, kind and caring
- Attention to detail
- Willingness to work beyond official working times when required
Values: Love, Respect, Professionalism, Innovation, Dedication
How To Apply:
Please send your CV and cover letter to the email address below. Please put the job title in the subject line.
Closing date: Monday 28 May 2018.
Jeppe Park, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa