The African Fertilizer and Agribusiness Partnership (AFAP) is an independent non-profit organization founded in 2012 by a partnership of African development organizations. It was built on the work of the Comprehensive African Agriculture Development Program (CAADP), a framework for achieving ambitious agriculture development goals set in place by African nations and leaders.
Job Title: The Director of Finance and Administration
Reports to: AFAP Head of Operations and Compliance and/or the President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Employment Type: 1 year renewable
The Director of Finance and Administration will be a strategic thinker and hands-on and participative manager. The successful candidate will lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT.
The Director of Finance and Administration will play a critical role in partnering with the senior management team in strategic decision making and operations as AFAP continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact, fast-growing international nonprofit, African-based organization.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with Senior Management; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep the senior management team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the board of directors.
Human Resources, Technology and Administration
- Further develop AFAP’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting.
- Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Minimum of a BA, ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree
- At least seven to 10 years of overall professional experience; ideally six-plus years of broad financial and operations management experience in the nonprofit sector
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with – compliance, programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- A track record in financial management for nonprofit organizations
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization including best practices in human resources activities
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of the African Fertilizer and Agribusiness Partnership.
Qualified applicants, please send your CV and a one-page cover letter to support your application, to [email protected].
Please use REF: South Africa DFA 2020 when submitting your application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more about The African Fertilizer and Agribusiness Partnership (AFAP), refer to https://www.afap-partnership.org/about-us-2/
Application Deadline: Tuesday, 20 October, 2020