The Ahmed Kathrada Foundation was formed in 2008 to continue the legacy of anti-apartheid struggle stalwart Ahmed Kathrada and his generation. The Foundation is an independent, non-partisan entity. Kathrada, a former Robben Island prisoner, served 26 years in jail alongside his fellow Rivonia Trialists for their stance against the apartheid government. Kathrada’s life has been characterised by his commitment to the best values and principles of the South African liberation struggle, particularly that of non-racialism.
Job Title: Education and Training Officer – Youth Activism Programme
- To develop and implement an activist education and training programme for the Ahmed Kathrada Foundation’s (AKF) youth clubs and their members. The AKF aims to establish a minimum of 10 youth clubs per year over a 10-year period.
Duties and responsibilities
- To develop an appropriate youth activist education and training programme for the AKF youth clubs;
- To develop an induction programme for the youth clubs and their members;
- To organise a youth activism library (books, movies, training manuals etc.);
- To organise regular youth camps with the members and leaders of the youth clubs;
- Assist with the development of training materials;
- Establish and manage relationships with people and organisations doing youth activism development work;
- Work closely within all other programmatic activities at the AKF, to mutually reinforce the training officer’s work and youth activism programme;
- Work closely with the Youth Activism Programme Manager.
Skills and knowledge required
- Knowledge of social justice issues and youth activism;
- Good administrative, analytical, writing, facilitation and presentation skills;
- Experience in education and training;
- Ability to lead projects and programmes;
- Ability to write proposals;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- A valid driver’s licence.
- The applicant must have, as a minimum, a bachelor’s degree. This must preferably be in the social sciences area.
Salary Range: R240 000 per annum (all-inclusive salary)
Place of work: Please note our offices are located in Lenasia, South of Johannesburg.
Closing date for applications: Friday 22 February 2019
For any queries, please call: 011 854 0082
Applications and CV’s must be sent to: [email protected]
(NB: Please use the word ‘Training Officer’ in the email subject of your application)