Posted on :
8 Dec, 2021
8 Dec, 2021
This role will undertake national SHER administration support, ensuring that safety and health management
systems are effectively implemented. They will also ensure that appropriate administrative support is given
to the Programm Manager and regional Safety Officers by follow-up and execustion of SHER findings and
Job Title: SHE and Risk Officer
Location: Isando, Gauteng, South Africa
Reference #: 0105028
Contract Type: Temporary
Salary: Market Related
Key Accountabilities and Outputs:
SHER framework, initiatives and communications
• Support with maintaining existing SHER Frameworks of practices, processes, policies and procedures,
standards and controls for application across all geographie
• Implement SHER awareness initiatives and communications
• Assist with ensuring that all SHER practices, initiatives and communications are clearly defined and in
a language that everyone can understand
Ensure SHER Compliance
• Proactively identify on site activities that pose threats to workers’ health and safety and order the
suspension of such activities
• Verify and monitor the implementation of mitigations / corrective actions to incident
investigations/unsafe acts/practices raised
• Compile detailed safety reports as required
SHER Mitigating Actions
• Recommend mitigating actions and if non-compliance is in direct violation of a specific policy,
procedure or standard, escalate issue immediately
• Assist with developing mitigating plans that are practical, focused and dedicated to rectify noncompliances, mitigate risks, and to prevent reoccurrences and future problems
• Collaborate with Program Manager to institute mitigating, control and remedial actions to drive
improvement in SHER compliance
• Assist with conducting risk assessments
General Business, Financial and People Management
• Drive continuous improvement through streamlining and optimising relevant operational practices,
processes and systems
• Ensure adherence to operational and financial frameworks of practices, processes, standards and
• Ensure that the right people capacity is in place and manage employee performance through effective
and goal directed people leadership
• Routine communication in connection with instructions, requests or normal work tasks
• Proactive identification of functional problems related to a specific process or policy, determine cause
and impact, and choose the best alternative to solve the problem based on guidelines provided and
an understanding of the theory or practices underpinning the problem.
• Others outside of own work area but inside the organisation
• Increases performance expectations when success has been achieved
• Seeks out sources of information, including trade associations, “best practice” companies, customers,
peers, subordinates, etc.
• Finds ways to fast-adapt improvement ideas to work processes
• Proactively seeks out resources, alliances, etc., needed to quickly introduce improvements
Legal and Ethical Conduct
• Advise on current laws and company policies that are not being complied with
• Conforms with all laws and company policies that govern one’s work activities
• Acts in accordance with conventional ethical and professional standards
• Takes action to enforce legal, policy, ethical and professional requirements; exposes violations
• Ability to persevere until an effective outcome is reached.
• Takes into account another’s viewpoint when stating a point.
• Looks at all available avenues of influencing another’s decision.
• Looks for a win-win scenario when influencing another’s decision.
Planning and Organising
• Manages time effectively, ensuring effective completion of tasks under stressful deadlines.
• Able to prioritise activities and resources, ensuring that results are achieved effectively.
• Able to evaluate progress and make appropriate adjustments to initial plans, ensuring a successful
• Helps others with their work.
• Meets commitments to team members or others in the organisation.
• Actively contributes to team discussions and the accomplishment of team work plans.
• Shares expertise and resources to help others address their needs.
• Seeks to include all those who can contribute to the most successful outcome and those who have a
stake in the results.
• Actively keeps all stakeholders informed.
• Attempts to reinvigorate team processes when progress is lagging: stays engaged even when not in
full agreement with the team’s direction
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelors Degree (3 years) / NQF level 7 (Essential)
• Up to 6 years experience (Operational Execution) Health and Safety; Environmental; Risk
Assessments; FMCG; Legal Compliance
• MS Excel; MS Word; E Mail; MS PowerPoint
Application Deadline: 14/12/2021