The Development Action Group (DAG) is a leading nonprofit, non-governmental organisation. DAG’s mission is to create, implement and support community-centred developments in order to address economic, social and spatial imbalances.
Job Title: Project Coordinator
Location: Cape Town
Employment Type: One-year contract with a 3-month probation period.
Start Date: As soon as possible
- With support, assist and lead in conceptualizing and implementation of programme and projects;
- Support community groups and community organisations in advancing their housing and land rights;
- Distil lessons and learnings from projects and programmes to inform organisational objectives and outcomes, including reporting back to the Programme Manager
- To work across various projects and programmes as a team member or lead, as required by the organisation
- To prepare and implement project briefs, facilitate workshops, meetings and produce related materials;
- To monitor overall progress of projects and report on progress against overall programme plans
- To manage, monitor and report on overall expenditure of projects
- To assist management in preparing funding applications, funder and board reports
- To, with support, prepare consultant’s briefs and negotiate them together with management
- To supervise and monitor the performance and payment of consultants and contractors
- To facilitate appropriate and effective planning, decision-making, communication, and problem solving within the team
- Coordinate with team members to deliver the intended project goals and objectives
- To provide facilitation, research and technical skills as necessary for the implementation of the project and programmes
- Participate in advocacy and lobby key stakeholders from both the public and civil society sectors
- To network DAG and our project partners with other key role-players including public officials and others in the private sector
- To represent DAG at various public platforms
- To prepare reports for both internal learning, broader advocacy and funders
- To prepare communication materials such as Facebook posts, twitter feed, blogs, newspaper articles etc. in consultation with the Programme Manager and Communication Officer
- Relevant degree or diploma e.g. Social sciences, Social development, Planning, Architecture, Urban Design, Adult Education, Geography, Social Anthropology etc.
- Five years’ experience in the relevant sector and field
- At least 2 years’ experience working with community groups, social movements and/ or civil society organisations living in informal settlements/ backyard structures
- Sound knowledge of training methodologies and techniques
- Sound knowledge of issues relating to the development sector as well housing and urban policy frameworks
- Conversant with key stakeholders, concepts and how they relate to the housing delivery process
- An understanding of social theory and the dominant social perspectives (world views)
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Ability to use the MS Office suite at an intermediate level.
- Excellent time management, planning and organising skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required and knowledge of at least one other South Africa language is an added advantage
- Valid driver’s licence (own car would be an advantage)
Submit a CV, contact details of three referees and a motivation letter by 16h00 on Friday, to [email protected] or 101 Lower Main Road, Observatory, Cape Town, 7925.
Application Deadline: Friday, 4 December, 2020