The Geneva-based International Committee of the Red Cross is a humanitarian organization that provides protection and assistance to people affected by armed conflict and other situations of violence. Our institution employs more than 20,000 people and is present in 80 countries.
The ICRC Regional Delegation in Pretoria is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the following vacancy :
Job Title: Policy and Communications Officer(Field Communication Officer)
Location: South Africa
The purpose of Policy and Communications Officer contributes to developing and implementing the delegation’s strategy on communication, aimed at enhancing acceptance of the ICRC in South Africa, Botswana, eSwatini and Lesotho, as well as enabling and supporting the attainment of the Regional Delegation’s operational priorities.
Description of the role:
The incumbent performs the following activities within the department:
- Supports the Communication Manager and management of the Pretoria Regional Delegation in the identification and updating of emerging issues, evolutions or threats to the in the operational environment of the ICRC in southern Africa in collaboration with department colleagues as relevant.
- Ensure the timely delivery of concise, accessible and relevant information analysis products to clients within the delegation, other ICRC delegations affected by the events as well as ICRC Headquarters as appropriate in coordination and in consultation with the Communication Manager.
- Proposes, develops and implements advocacy and community engagement strategies, campaigns and activities targeting actors of influence in collaboration with colleagues in the department, or Regional Delegation as relevant, to support the attainment the operational priorities and activities of the Regional Delegation in consultation with the Communication Manager
- Proactively identifies synergies and opportunities for enhancing the department’s engagement of stakeholders within and across departmental activities
- Monitors and evaluates the implementation of initiatives and budgets for activities with National Society Communication departments in line with Delegation operational priorities and the evolution of the humanitarian situation in countries under the purview of the Pretoria Regional Delegation
- Designs and prepares objectives, activities and budgets for his/her area of responsibility, in cooperation and consultation with departmental colleagues or other departments as appropriate.
- Supports the Media Officer to raise awareness and vibility of operational priorities through preparing social media posts, indentifying public communication opportunities and preparing other communication tools as relevant.
Profile – Minimum required qualification & experience:
- University degree or equivalent (preferably master’s level) in a relevant field as strategic communications, political science, international relations or journalism.
- At least 5 years experience in designing and implementing advocacy and community engagement campaigns.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of South African politics and socio-economic trends, with experience of working in other southern African countries an advantge.
- Strong analytical and writing skills including proven experience in preparing background briefs, reports and carrying out in-depth research.
- Experience in training and capacity building on communications and advocacy a distinct advantage.
- Fluent spoken and written English required. Other language skills relevant to engaging stakeholders in the countries of responsibility an asset.
- Computer skills (competence in MS Office and other software)
- Familiarity with online and social media communication tools.
We are looking for someone who is methodical, precise, responsible, rigorous, organized, with good organizational skills, with a good sense of teamwork, initiative and respect for ICRC values.
We offer interesting, rewarding work in a humanitarian and international environment.
Please submit your application: CV, cover letter, copies of diplomas / certificates by electronic mail with the mention in the subject « application for Policy and Communications Officer PRE[email protected]
Application Deadline: Sunday, 3 May, 2020