The Global Campaign for Education (GCE) founded in 1999, is a global civil society movement working to end the education crisis. GCE members bring together civil society organisations, NGOs, teacher unions, child rights activists, parents’ associations, young people and community organisations who work together in coalition in nearly 100 countries.
GCE promotes education as a basic human right, mobilises the public to put pressure on governments and the international community to fulfil their promises to provide free, compulsory, high quality public education for all.
Job Title: Consultancy – Support GCE’s campaigns with a focus on Education Financing
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Type of contract: Individual Consultant
Duration of contract: Full-time until mid-December 2019
Reports to: Head of Campaigns and Communications
Working relationships: Policy and Research Manager, Communications Officer, Head of CSEF Programme, ANCEFA Progamme Officers and National Education Coalitions Coordinators.
The consultant is required to support all GCE’s campaigns with a specific focus on delivering a project on Education Financing. Particularly, the incumbent will follow up individually with national education coalitions on their understanding on budget analysis, support them in entering the data into the revamped MEL system, support capacity building throughout the network in terms of advocacy campaigns and overall advance GCE’s campaigning work.
A. Background and Context of the Assignment
GCE is a campaigning organisation, working in a three-level structure – national, regional and international. GCE has been working on Education Financing since 2015. The organisation developed reports and tools to build civil society capacity in monitoring education budget and delivered two workshops in 2018 to emphasize on the principles and tools for pledge tracking. It is crucial to follow up on this important work and ensure that the available tools are well understood and used on a regular basis by GCE members to deliver more evidence-based advocacy and to further enhance GCE’s campaigns. Other campaign work during the duration of this consultancy will include non-discrimination and education in emergencies.
B. Purpose and Scope of Work of the Assignment
- The overall purpose of this consultancy is to support the Head of Campaigns and Communications to deliver campaigning work as per agreed project proposals and to further the advancement of GCE’s campaigning work linked, but not limited to, education financing mechanisms.
- The Consultant will specifically work on an individual basis with GCE members and CSEF recipients in Africa to support their data analysis related to budget monitoring and pledge tracking.
- The Consultant will be paid on a monthly basis, conditioned to the delivery of:
- Inception meeting with key GCE staff, and delivery of work plan with clear timelines based on agreements made during the inception meeting;
- Proposition of a workplan for the Education Financing project targeting all 37 African coalitions, and campaigns plan related to inclusive education and education in emergencies;
- Implementation of the workplan and subsequent calls and travels;
- All available and cleaned data from targeted coalitions are correctly filled in the MEL system, and a note is produced when data is missing (specific to country context);
- Production of a report based on collected data on the MEL system;
- Production of a consultancy report including challenges linked to data collection and analysis in targeted countries, the status of budget advocacy knowledge and campaigning expertise within the network and recommendation of a way forward through a comprehensive advocacy campaign plan.
D. Required skills and experience
- The consulting entity to be appointed will need the following competencies:
- Proven experience in research, data collection, budget analysis, network engagement particularly experience of working with and building coalitions, including cross-cultural, cross-movement sector coalitions; including making and maintaining effective contacts and relationships, with local partners and all relevant stakeholders to build networks and alliances to ensure support for campaign objectives;
- At least ten years’ experience in advocacy campaigns with successful track record of analysing (educational) issues in terms of campaign opportunities and in terms of overall strategic objectives;
- Experience in conducting trainings using participatory adult learning techniques;
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of French or Portuguese;
- Desired: experience in research and education budget analysis, education financing mechanisms.
E. Selection Criteria:
- The following criteria will be used to evaluate proposals:
- Proven experience in research, data collection, budget analysis, network engagement and evidence-based campaigning (35%)
- Relevant experience and track record in providing similar services for international non- governmental organisations, particularly in Africa (20%)
- Knowledge of research and education budget analysis, knowledge of pledge tracking mechanisms (10%)
- Knowledge of French or Portuguese (10%)
- Costs (25%)
Separate applications should be submitted for each consultancy respectively. Applications should include:
- A CV for the consultant focusing on relevant experience together with two references from organisations for which the applicant has carried out similar work;
- If a consulting firm: a company profile outlining relevant experience together with two references from organisations for which the consulting entity has carried out similar work;
- An outline of the approach to the consultancy;
- A financial proposal to include daily fee rate and any other costs, and;
- A cover letter, confirming availability for the dates outlined.
Late proposal tenders will not be accepted in any circumstances and will not be assessed. Timely delivery of submissions is the responsibility of tenderers and the Global Campaign for Education will not in any circumstances accept liability for late or unsuccessful delivery of proposal submissions.
Requests for clarification should be made in writing and sent to: the Head of Campaigns and Communications – Maryline Mangenot, Email: [email protected] , [email protected]nforeducation.org
Application Deadline: September 18th 2019