The Health Systems Trust (HST) is a nonprofit organisation that strives to build comprehensive, effective, efficient and equitable national health systems by supporting the implementation of functional health districts in South Africa and in the southern African region.
Job Title: Grants and Compliance Officer
Employment Type: Fixed-term contract position, renewable based on funding.
Remuneration: A salary package commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications and in line with HST’s Job Grading System will be offered.
The purpose of this position is to be responsible for all stages of the grant cycle and facilitating the flow of information between various departments within HST. The Grants and Compliance Officer will provide assistance to the Grants and Compliance Manager to direct and manage the grant information and tracking process from inception to completion, ensuring quality control for all grant-making procedures and communication systems.
- Manage the contract process between HST and sub-recipients/contractors;
- Manage grant acceptance processes, and review contracts, agreements and/or notices of awards;
- Interpret all contracts and agreements to ensure compliance with HST’s policies, and with legal and statutory requirements;
- Preparation of funder budgets;
- Track and manage contracts and payments to sub-recipients/contractors and their budget pipelines;
- Prepare monthly summary reports tracking monthly revenue and expenditure on all grants and contracts;
- Review burn rate on a monthly basis on grants;
- Perform risk-based internal audits in accordance with specified internal audit standards;
- Assess the adequacy and effectiveness of current internal controls, risk management and governance processes, and to make practical recommendations to improve the control environment of the business;
- Support the design and maintenance of a strong internal control system;
- Maintain a log of compliance matters reported and ensure appropriate escalation and response to ensure resolution;
- Work as part of a Compliance Team supporting the Grants and Compliance office to assist with implementing an effective sub-recipient monitoring function and provide technical assistance to sub-recipients, HST staff and management;
- Submission of monthly and specific compliance reports for review to management;
- Conduct compliance-related site visits to project offices and sub-recipients in accordance with funder regulations;
- Be willing to travel on assignments as needed;
- Be able to work with a team or independently; and
- Carry out any other duties as assigned by the Grants and Compliance Manager.
- An appropriate Finance degree/diploma or other related field;
- Experience working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;
- A minimum of three years’ experience within the grants field;
- Computer skills including spreadsheets, database, accounting package and Internet/email;
- Experience in managing grants across a range of stakeholders and in supporting grantees to ensure compliance with grant processes;
- Previous experience working with grants from international donors would be an added advantage; and
- High focus on deadlines and attention to detail.
Interested applicants should forward a detailed CV and cover letter stating the position applied for, together with names and contact details (telephone numbers and email addresses) of at least three contactable referees, to [email protected].
Application Deadline: Tuesday, 3 March, 2020