ISLA is a feminist and Pan-African organisation that is based on the belief strategic litigation is an immensely strong tool for social change because it helps to reframe the understanding of entitlements before the law. Mindful of the limitations of the law in bringing about social change, we reinforce our work by creating partnerships and strengthening our partners’ capacity to do strategic litigation in order to create an enabling environment for strategic litigation to achieve its intended impact. We use the law to advance sexual rights and sexual orientation (SOGIE), gender identity and expression in particular and women’s human’s rights in domestic courts and regional accountability mechanisms across the continent.
The Initiative for Strategic Litigation in Africa (ISLA) seeks to appoint an experienced Litigation Coordinator to provide administrative and operations support to the Violence against Women, Sexual Rights and Women Socio Economic Justice thematic areas. To contribute to the development of the collaborations work that supports the Building Partnerships for Social Change unit and the objectives of the Litigating for Social Change unit.
Job Title: Litigation Coordinator
The selected candidate will be tasked with the performance of the following duties:
Litigation Support 40%
- Scheduling meetings, court dates, travel plans;
- Daily record keeping with electronic and hard copy filing of documents;
- Assist lawyers in obtaining relevant case information from partner organisations;
- Effectively communicate with witnesses, clients, colleagues and partners;
- Legal and administrative support to lawyers for filing various legal documents such as appeals, motions or petitions;
- Create and organise information, and generate reference tools for easy use by the office;
- Prepare and format legal and management reports;
- Case development tracking;
- Maintain and update databases and tracking systems;
- Respond to all case-related queries;
- Ensure efficient and effective administrative information and assistance;
- Event and logistics support for unit related activities.
Collaborations support 30%
- Assist the Collaborations and Advocacy Manager in support of the unit objectives and activities;
- Scheduling collaborations and coalition meetings;
- First point of contact for collaboration queries, complete administrative tasks including preparation and distribution of meeting documents;
- Scheduling collaborations and coalition meetings;
- Travel coordination.
Human Resource Management 10%
- Formatting and compliance checks on Lawyers KPAs, work-plans, and monthly reports.
Organisations Strategic Coherence 10%
- Scheduling strategy development meetings for the thematic and Litigating for Social Change unit
Finance Administration 5%
- Coordinates and oversees grant related budgets, including tracking and submission of expense reports and other financial reports;
- Participate in the units budget allocation meetings;
- Reconciles the cash advance for the specific event or trip;
- Assists with monitoring, verification and reconciliation of budget expenditures;
- Process invoices and follow up with clients, suppliers and partners as needed;
- Provide administrative support during budget preparation.
Knowledge Management 5%
- Database development and management;
- Promote knowledge sharing through the organisation’s operational processes and systems;
- Strengthening links between knowledge sharing and the information systems, and improving integration among information systems in the organisation;
- Facilitate seamless exchange of information across units and colleagues;
- Help monitor and evaluate the knowledge management flow within the units;
- Control of all aspects of knowledge management on all project activities and programme documentation, to ensure consistency of information;
- Manage and monitor compliance on the organisations shared folder system.
About the person: This position will be suited to an individual who meets the following
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and consistently meet deadlines;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise multiple tasks, projects and assignments;
- Demonstrated ability to quickly and effectively problem solve and troubleshoot independently;
- Willingness to work independently, at the direction of others, and in a team-focused environment;
- Exceptional attention to detail, accuracy and data tracking skills;
- Ability to learn quickly and succeed in a rapidly changing environment;
- Commitment to the overall aims and values of ISLA; feminism and Pan Africanism.
- A courteous, professional and cooperative attitude.
- Ability to work constructively and professionally across multiple issue areas and under the pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to work well in a diverse group;
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights, feminism and social justice.
- Highest standards of excellence and integrity at all times and to all persons.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may substitute for the degree when the experiences are closely related to the duties of the job.
- At least 5 years or more experience in coordinating and administrating programme activities for non-profits and 1 year of experience in a legal environment.
Other information about the position:
Preference will be given to qualifying women applicants.
This role reports to the Litigation Director.
Other Essentials Specific to the Job:
- Carry out any additional responsibilities that may be assigned by the Litigation Director and Collaborations and Advocacy Manager from time to time;
- Able and willing to travel occasionally across the continent;
- Commitment to the overall aims and values of ISLA; feminism and Pan Africanism; and
- Expectation of occasional work outside regular weekday hours, as required to do the job.
This position offers a competitive salary, up to (R300 000) per annum, (total cost to company, and commensurate with experience.
ISLA’s job application form replaces the need to submit a CV, cover letter or any other document as we prefer to have standardised information provided to us by all candidates.
Click on this link: http://www.the-isla.org/job/litigation-coordinator/
Application Deadline: Friday, 29 May, 2020