The Initiative for Strategic Litigation in Africa (ISLA) is a feminist and Pan-African organisation that aims to contribute to the development of jurisprudence on women’s human rights and sexual rights on the continent. ISLA aims to develop jurisprudence before domestic courts, the African Human Rights Systems and UN treaty bodies on ISLA’s thematic areas of focus areas.
ISLA provides legal representation and support to those who seek to hold states accountable for violations of women’s human rights and sexual rights. ISLA nurtures, facilitates and supports a culture of social justice lawyering by helping to develop a critical pool of strategic litigation lawyers and feminist lawyers in particular. ISLA provides quality and long-term support to individuals and partner institutions who work on strategic litigation focusing on ISLA’s thematic areas.
Job Title: Programmes Coordinator
Location: South Africa
About the position:
The selected candidate will be responsible for providing administrative, operational and programmatic support services to assigned programmes and units. The Programmes Coordinator will be knowledgeable about institutional and programme policies and procedures.
About the work :
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following:
Workflow Management, Monitoring & Evaluation
- Provide ongoing assistance to Research and Publications Units in developing programme policies, procedure plans and associated communications documents.
- Monitor the workflow and make adjustments to ensure the timely completion of programme activities.
- Communicate with partners, team members on project status, including progress, risk and any issues that may have an impact on project delivery.
- Assist in monitoring and evaluating programme effectiveness; demonstrates continuous efforts to improve support operations and systems, to streamline work processes and to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the programmes.
- Maintain liaison with staff and partner organisations to coordinate programme activities and capacity strengthening events to accomplish programme objectives and to ensure cooperative efforts are enhance and available resources are utilised.
- Coordinate and oversees grant related issues, including tracking and submission of expense reports and other financial reports.
- Reconcile the cash advance for the specific event or trip.
- Assist with monitoring, verification and reconciliation of budget expenditures.
Events and Logistics
- Assist in the planning, coordination and implementation of seminars, conferences, workshops and internal events.
- Manage Units logistics, including the establishment of arrangements for trips and events, facilitation of-person meetings with involved team members on a regular basis.
About the person:
This position will be suited to an individual who has:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may substitute for the degree when the experiences are closely related to the duties of the job.
- 5 years’ experience coordinating and administrating programme activities for non-profits.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise multiple tasks, projects and assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly and effectively problem solve and troubleshoot independently.
- Willingness to work independently, at the direction of others, and in a team-focused environment.
- Exceptional attention to detail, accuracy and data tracking skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and succeed in a rapidly changing environment.
Other information about the position:
Preference will be given to qualifying applicants who:
This role reports to the Director of Finance and Operations.
Skills and Knowledge Required
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities and work independently as well as being a part of a team.
- Understanding of the functioning of organizations.
- Fluency in English, including speaking, reading and writing with the ability to conduct business in English.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher) and Web browsers and searches.
Other Essentials Specific to the Job
- Able and willing to travel occasionally within and out of South Africa.
- Commitment to the overall aims and values of ISLA, feminism and Pan Africanism.
- Expectation of occasional work outside regular weekday hours, as required to do the job.
- This position offers a competitive salary, up to R300,000, per annum, (total cost to company, and commensurate with experience
Important Application details:
For this position, click here to complete the application form. The ISLA’s job application form replaces the need to submit a CV as we prefer to have standardised information provided to us by all candidates. Please complete this form in as much details as is possible. Once you submit, the form is received by ISLA’s recruitment team who will evaluate your application and provide you feedback on your application status and further requirements. Please complete the form before the closing date specified in the advertisement. Late applications will not be considered.
ONLY INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM WILL BE CONSIDERED. CV, COVER LETTER OR OTHER DOCUMENTS THAT WE HAVE NOT REQUESTED WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!
Application Deadline: 30th September 2019