The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company (NPC) born out of the PEPFAR CDC Track 1 transition of the ICAP, Columbia University, Multi-country AIDS Program (MCAP) in South Africa in 2010.
The IHPS mission is “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and the vision is “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”. Presently, IHPS is a Global Fund (GF) Subrecipient (SR) working in Mpumalanga, Free State and Limpopo Provinces from April 2019 – March 2022.
Job Title: Human Resource Practitioner
Overall Job Function
Under the supervision of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Human Resource (HR) Practitioner will provide day-to-day overall HR support to IHPS, in accordance with South African labour laws; and act as the primary IHPS HR contact.
- Manage all IHPS HR functions from HR needs assessment, through on-boarding to employment termination.
- Handle the full life cycle of the recruitment and selection function from the posting of vacant positions, screening, short-listing, conducting interviews, working with line management to select qualified candidates, and on-boarding new employees.
- Conduct orientation meetings with new employees with respect to personnel policies and benefits.
- Work with the IHPS supervisors to develop/ review job descriptions (JDs) that reflect existing positions and create new JDs for newly defined positions.
- Communicate official HR plans, policies and procedures to IHPS staff and ensure proper implementation of such plans, policies and procedures.
- Provide technical assistance to staff on HR policies, record-keeping, training, performance management and recruiting.
- Actively participate in the budget development process and manage HR components as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain employee personnel files with compliance with South African employment laws and donor requirements.
- Review HR policies and practices in accordance with latest labour law developments and statutory requirements.
- Establish and maintain a comprehensive leave management system, in close collaboration with the IHPS finance and administration (F&A) team.
- Manage employee communication and feedback through various avenues including staff meetings, suggestion programs, employee satisfaction/ climate surveys, skills surveys, newsletters, employee focus groups, and one-on-one meetings.
- Facilitate the appointment of HR consultants, labour law experts, and staff training and development specialists.
- Coordinate IHPS use of insurance brokers, pension administrators and other relevant external HR contacts.
- Participate in senior management and staff meetings as appropriate.
- Other key HR functions include HR development and training, performance management and improvement systems, employee relations, compensation and benefits administration, compliance with regulatory concerns; employee safety, welfare, wellness and health; and employee services and counselling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Command of other official languages would be an added advantage;
- Solid HR management experience;
- Ability to take initiatives, work under pressure and multitask with minimum supervision;
- A team player with good interpersonal skills;
- Sound problem solving and decision-making skills; effective time management and coordination skills;
- Competent in Microsoft Office suite and project management tools;
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive.
Qualifications and Experience
- A degree or diploma in HR, with proven HR generalist work experience.
- Proven experience in HR management, and in-depth knowledge of HR policies, procedures and practices.
- Minimum of 5 years.
- Demonstrated work experience of providing HR support within donor-funded not-for-profit organizations.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the South African labour laws.
- Understanding of donor rules and regulations would be an added advantage.
Technical support visits to IHPS field offices are inherent to the position.
This position description may not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, their education and work experience. The employer reserves the right to revise this posting at any time.
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to [email protected]ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be the position and location you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae (CV) should be attached.
Application Deadline: 9th August 2019