The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company established in 2010, with a mission “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and, the vision is to ensure “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”.
Currently, IHPS is a Global Fund Subrecipient (SR) under Aids Foundation of South Africa (AFSA), tasked to implement the “Prevention programs for adolescents and youths, in and out of school” with a specific focus on adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) in Mbombela Subdistricts, Ehlanzeni District in Mpumalanga Province from April 2019 – March 2022. Therefore, IHPS seeks to recruit for the position outlined below, based in Gert Sibande.
Job Title: Program Manager
Location: Gert Sibande District
Overall Job Function
Under the supervision of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Program Manager: Gert Sibande will provide overall management and programmatic direction which includes coordinating and providing programmatic, technical, administrative, financial and logistical support for all IHPS programs in Gert Sibande.
The incumbent shall be responsible for the overall program leadership and management to ensure effective and smooth IHPS program implementation in Gert Sibande district. The duties include but are not limited to:
1. Program Management
- Lead and manage the roll-out and implementation of IHPS programs in accordance with the IHPS funder agreements.
- Provide programmatic oversight and ensure timely implementation of the AGYW program activities in Gert Sibande.
- Provide technical, administrative and fiscal support towards achievement of program goals and objectives; and make sure project timelines are respected and program targets are timeously met.
- Work closely with IHPS human resources (HR) unit to establish of a strong and competent regional IHPS program team and ensure optimal HR regional capacity for program implementation.
- Maintain clear and open communication and serve as a principal liaison between the IHPS head office and IHPS field office, for optimal day-to-day implementation and administration of program activities.
- Lead and manage monthly activity planning and reporting for the AGYW program in Gert Sibande district
- Facilitate needs-based trainings for IHPS program staff in Gert Sibande district
- Coordinate program review meetings, seminars and workshops as appropriate.
- Manage all regional finance and administrative functions, coordinate with head office finance and administration (F&A) team to ensure adequate F&A i.e. finance, HR and logistics support by the head office F&A team, for optimal day-to-day implementation and administration of program activities.
2. Partnerships / Stakeholder Management
- Establish strategic and collaborative partnerships with (NGOs) and government departments in the region, in support of the implementation of program activities.
- Serve as a liaison between IHPS and the various stakeholders provincial, district and subdistrict stakeholders.
- Represent IHPS at all relevant provincial, district and subdistrict partners’ meetings.
- Represent IHPS at relevant IHPS, donor or any other relevant forums as directed by IHPS CEO / Senior Management.
3. Strategic Information and Knowledge Management
- Working closely with the Senior Technical Advisor: Strategic Information, lead and manage the collection, collation and analysis of program data, preparation of scheduled and special reports, and the maintenance of program records and statistical information.
- Submit monthly activity plans and reports for program implementation in Gert Sibande district
- Maintain a current program reporting, monitoring and evaluation (M&E) system as per IHPS M&E framework and knowledge and information management policies and procedures.
- In collaboration with the national technical team, support the development, editing or adaptation of training manuals, guidelines, job aids, newsletters, and/or brochures, as appropriate to the regional program.
- Support and strengthen the implementation of IHPS HR, finance and operations policies and standard operating procedures (SOPs) and promote a culture of institutional capacity building and systems strengthening
- Perform specialized activities in direct support of the accomplishment of program objectives.
- Actively participate in IHPS strategic planning and annual work planning processes
- Assist with grant and/or proposal writing as appropriate to the program objectives and funding requirements of the program; may participate in other fundraising activities.
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities as assigned by IHPS CEO/ Senior Management.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in health or social sciences. A Master’s degree in the public health, social sciences or other relevant fields would be an added advantage.
- Project management experience with proven ability to ensure high-quality program outcomes and experience in supervising a multidisciplinary team
- A minimum of 5 years work experience in donor-funded not-for-profit non-government organizations (NGO).
- At least five years of proven work experience at senior management level
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the South African health, education and social development systems is required.
- Demonstrated experience in Global Fund, PEPFAR or other donors’ grants management is preferred.
- In-depth understanding of donor rules and regulations would be an added advantage.
- Solid program/ project management skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in English. Command of other official local languages would be an added advantage.
- HR management and capacity (i.e. training, mentoring, coaching and supportive supervision) skills.
- Ability to take initiatives, work under pressure and multitask with minimum supervision.
- A team leader with good interpersonal and people management skills.
- Sound problem solving and decision-making skills; effective time management and coordination skills.
- Competent in Microsoft Office suite and project management tools.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive.
Local travel is inherent to the position.
This position description may not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, their education and work experience. The employer reserves the right to revise this posting at any time.
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to [email protected]ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be the position and subdistrict you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae (CV) should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered.
Due to the extremely high volume of CVs expected, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS about these positions will be accepted.
Application Deadline: 20 August 2020