The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company established in 2010, with a mission “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and, the vision is to ensure “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”.
Currently, IHPS is a Global Fund Subrecipient (SR) under Aids Foundation of South Africa (AFSA), tasked to implement the “Prevention programs for adolescents and youths, in and out of school” with a specific focus on adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) in Mbombela Subdistricts, Ehlanzeni District in Mpumalanga Province from April 2019 – March 2022.
Job Title: Finance and Administration Officer
Location: Nelspruit. Closing date: 04 August 2020.
Overall Job Function
Under the supervision of the Mbombela Subdistrict AGYW Program Manager, the Finance and Administration (F&A) Officer will provide efficient and reliable finance and overall administration support to the IHPS Mbombela Subdistrict office, with technical support from F&A Manager at Head Office.
The incumbent will provide F&A support to the IHPS Mbombela Subdistrict office and Head Office in Johannesburg. Essential duties include but are not limited to:
- Capture transactions onto electronic IHPS accounting system.
- Ensure all transactions are booked properly and in a timely manner.
- Manage petty cash and submit monthly petty cash reports to national office.
- Facilitate timely processing of staff travel reimbursement claims.
- Maintain a current asset register for the IHPS Mbombela office and safe spaces.
- Work closely with F&A Manager to prepare regular budget vs actual reports for regional programming.
2. Sub-subrecipients (SSR) Management:
- Oversee financial management and reporting of IHPS SSRs.
- Closely monitor and undertake periodic expenditure tracking of IHPS SSRs.
- Prepare periodic updates on the SSRs for IHPS management meetings.
- Work closely with the F&A manager to maintain a current and efficient SSR management system for IHPS.
- Maintain up to date SSR files and keep them in a safe and secure space.
- Provide ongoing SSR staff training, coaching and mentorship as per donor requirements.:
- Sound financial management starting with preparation of advance requests.
- SSR programmatic and financial reporting requirements.
3. Human Resource (HR):
- With support from the Admin Assistant, ensure IHPS HR administrative requirements are met and personnel files are complete and up to date (i.e. timesheets, leave management, supporting documentation, etc.).
- Work closely with the HR Practitioner (HRP) and F&A Manager to prepare accurate regional monthly payroll summary sheets.
- Ensure timely submission of all payroll sheets and other HR administrative submissions.
- Work closely with all regional supervisors and HRP to ensure optimal leave management.
4. Travel and Fleet Management:
- Manage staff travel and accommodation requests including travel reimbursement claims in line with IHPS travel policy.
- Ensure staff travel requests and travel reimbursement claims are prepared and submitted in accordance with IHPS F&A policies, and in a timely manner.
- Manage the use of IHPS program vehicles in line with IHPS Vehicle Management Policy (VMP), and ensure staff fully understand the IHPS VMP.
- Maintain current records of IHPS program vehicles in line with IHPS VMH (i.e. logbooks, vehicle allocations and inspections, service records, etc.).
- Provide comprehensive administration support to field-based staff, to ensure smooth program implementation.
- Coordinate administrative correspondence between national and regional office
- Manage all procurement, supply, and distribution of goods and services for the office and field-based teams, in close collaboration with F&A Manager
- Coordinate staff ICT support e.g. data bundles and airtime.
- Manage logistical preparations for meetings/ training workshops.
- Collate and file minutes, attendance registers and reports in line with donor requirements.
- Train, coach, mentor all IHPS staff on IHPS policies and procedures, to ensure optimal compliance with IHPS policies and donor rules and regulations at all times.
- Execute any other administration functions as assigned by Supervisor and IHPS Senior Management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Command of local languages would be an added advantage.
- Proven financial management experience for donor funded programs
- Experience in managing subrecipients/ SSRs including compliance monitoring.
- Practical project management or office administration experience.
- Ability to take initiatives, work under pressure and multitask with minimum supervision.
- A team player with good interpersonal skills.
- Effective time management and coordination skills.
- Competent in Microsoft Office suite and other project management packages.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive would of advantage
Qualifications and Experience
- BCom Degree or National Diploma in financial management with years of experience
- At least 5 years proven financial management experience in an NGO environment
- Practical finance administration experience is a requirement.
- Proven experience of managing SRs/ SSR is required.
- Demonstrated experience in project administration of donor funded programs is desirable.
- Previous Global Fund (GF) or other donor (PEPFAR, GIZ, EU, etc.) experience would be an added advantage.
- Additional communication, marketing, executive assistance, or clerical training would be useful.
This position description may not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, their education and work experience. The employer reserves the right to revise this posting at any time.
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to [email protected]ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be the position and subdistrict you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae (CV) should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered.
Due to the extremely high volume of CVs expected, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS about these positions will be accepted.
Application Deadline: 04 August 2020