The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance is an intergovernmental organization that works to support and strengthen democratic institutions and processes around the world, to develop sustainable, effective, and legitimate democracies.
International IDEA is managing a three-year EU funded programme to support Sudan’s transition to a democratic system of government, and to contribute to SDG 16 to promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
The programme seeks to support the democratic transition by supporting the establishment of mechanisms for dialogue and consensus building on the transition process; strengthen stakeholders’ capacity for constitution building; enhance stakeholders’ capacity for electoral reform that will facilitate credible electoral processes; and strengthen citizens awareness on the transitional process and broader democratic governance practices. It is anticipated that Sudan’s transition period and processes will provide an opportunity for Sudan’s transition to democracy.
Job Title: COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
Location: Khartoum, Sudan
This is a fixed term appointment until 31 December 2022
The Communications Officer will work to enhance content generated from within the Sudan EU funded programme with a view to increasing programme awareness and providing visibility through managing the programme’s online presence. These tasks require interfacing with multiple partners to gather information, prioritizing content, and staying ahead of news and events. The Communications Officer produces or compiles content including writing and editing of specific communication material. S/he is responsible for targeted dissemination of content for the promotion of the programme’s activities, events and results. Primary areas of focus include media, outreach, programme newsletter, website and social media, as guided by the programme and donor’s communication and visibility plan.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Providing communication and media support to all partners within the programme
- Regularly holding communication update meetings with the focal points of all partners to ensure they are well-informed about planned activities, upcoming events and campaigns; Coordinates the inputs from programme partners
- Editing, compiling and uploading content generated by the programme to the relevant communication forum as needed
- Undertaking regular media monitoring, contributing to and regularly updates the programme’s press lists, contributes to Op-Eds and stories for media placement and assists in responding to media/press inquiries as required
- Maintaining the programme database, soliciting and including regular updates, as required
- Serving as a content editor; writing and editing web articles, tweets, social media posts, press releases and other outreach content in Arabic and English, as necessary
- Coordinating the timely content development of a semi-annual newsletter with programme colleagues and manages an editorial calendar for the proposed content and themes
- Creating clear infographics and digital assets for use online and in presentations
- Monitoring and reporting on impact and analytics; generating monthly and quarterly analytics reports for all social media platforms and for the newsletter
- Working in close coordination with the Head of Programme and Programme Officers to ensure that the programme has an effective communication strategy according to the donor’s Communications and Visibility Strategy
- Ensuring the implementation of an effective social media strategy for all social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook), in accordance with International IDEA and donor guidelines, and reviews and updates these guidelines as needed
The Communications Officer must possess and be able to demonstrate:
- University degree in Communications, Journalism, International Relations or a related subject
- Minimum of three (3) years’ professional experience in a similar role or as a journalist or writer in communications for development, with a focus in social media
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain social media campaigns
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, considered an advantage
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, written and spoken
- Proven experience in producing and writing material for online dissemination, including for social media channels and a range of traditional media
- Proficiency in using Drupal, style sheets, Microsoft Office, Cision and Adobe tools (especially Photoshop), as well as multimedia software would be considered an asset
- Excellent knowledge of national, media, the social media landscape and familiarity with international, mainstream and specialized media channels
- Fluency in written and oral English and Arabic is required. Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset.
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Sudan.
Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application [email protected]
Application Deadline: Friday 15th May 2020 to