The Johannesburg Children’s Home (JCH) is one of the oldest charitable institutions in Gauteng, which has provided a ‘home away from home’ and cared for thousands of children over the past 127 years. This exciting role within the Johannesburg Children’s Home (JCH) is aimed at ensuring ongoing sustainability and continued development of the home.
Job Title: Child and Youth Care Worker
Employment Type: Part time
Reports to: Shift Supervisor
The purpose of this position is to be responsible for the overall wellbeing of the children under their care by taking care of the children’s physical, emotional, educational, and psychological needs. The CYCW will be responsible for eight to ten children at any given time, living together in a cottage.
- Oversee all meals for the children by either preparing meals, collecting from the main kitchen and serve or oversee children preparing meals for themselves.
- Ensure effective timekeeping with children including bed and bath times, leaving for school, attending events playtime, and attending special meetings when required
- Ensure children attend school, study, and supervise homework.
- Administer medication when required
- Supervise homework,
- Collect all school letters and reports and hand over to relevant staff at JCH
- Attend to all clothing requirements of the children and assist with seasonal handover, mark clothes with nametags and sort laundry.
- Ensure that children perform their household chores like:
pack away own laundry
make their beds
tidy their rooms
spring clean on weekends
- Ensure that bed linen is changed on Sunday evening, heck children’s cupboards and bedrooms and report all repair requirements to Maintenance
- Implementing of behaviour modification programme and disciplinary structures.
- CYCW qualification
- Passion for children and social development.
- Good people management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and remain calm in a crisis
Please submit your CV and copy of your CYCW qualification in confidence to: [email protected]
Application Deadline: Sunday, 5 July, 2020