The Legal Resources Centre is an independent, client-based, non-profit public interest law clinic, which uses law as an instrument of justice. It works for the development of a fully democratic society based on the principle of substantive equality, by providing free legal services for the vulnerable and marginalised, including the poor, homeless, and landless people and communities of South Africa who suffer discrimination by reason of race, class, gender, disability or by reason of social, economic and historical circumstances.
Job Title: Litigation Attorney
Job Location: Grahamstown
- Public interest litigation and legal drafting
- Regional and international advocacy
- Networking and presentations at seminars and conferences
- Legal research in specified LRC focus areas
- Drafting submissions to Parliament and regional and international mechanisms
- Reporting and compliance
- Admission and enrolment as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Legal writing, research and communication skills
- Fluency in at least two official South African languages including English
- Valid Driver’s License
- Strong advocacy and litigation skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, independently and with others
- Ability to network with partner organisations and donors
- A commitment to strengthening public interest legal practice and transformation within the legal profession
- A commitment to staff development and team work
- Extensive driving in rural areas
- Working in remote rural areas in trying conditions
- Strong professional work ethic
- Interpersonal skills with a willingness to work in a small office as part of a dynamic team
- Two years’ admission High Court litigation experience
- Right of appearance in the in the High Court
- An LLM degree in a human rights related field
- Experience in socio-economic rights litigation, access to justice and civil society work, and community access to land and natural resources
- Displayed human rights / socio-economic rights background at the domestic, regional or international level
To apply, send a motivational letter, CV with copies of qualifications and two contactable references to [email protected]
The LRC is committed to transformation; applications from previously disadvantaged candidates are therefore strongly encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 9th September, 2018
If you have not been contacted by 28 September 2018, consider your application unsuccessful.