The Social Justice Coalition (SJC) is a democratic, mass-based social movement that campaigns for the advancement of the constitutional rights to life, dignity, equality, freedom and safety for all people, but especially those living in informal settlements across South Africa.
Job Title: Media and Communications Officer
Job Location: Cape Town.
Start date: Immediately
This is a full-time position.
The Media and Communications Officer will develop and implement the SJC’s strategies for communications, content development, and the media.
- Assist with drafting and production of content for outward communications, including press statements, multimedia, newsletters, and other publications
- Develop and implement targeted communications strategies for the SJC as a whole
- Manage day to day digital communications, in particular social media
- Ensure digital platforms such as the website are maintained and kept up to date
- Maintain the SJC’s database of press, support and partner lists, and develop new systems where required to maximize these lists
- Ensure effective communication with SJC constituencies and related stakeholders including those within the database
- Engage with the media and maintain press contacts on an ongoing basis
- Track media coverage of issues related to the SJC’s work and assist with the dissemination of selected coverage within the SJC and its branches
- Tertiary qualification
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Research, writing, and speaking skills
- Knowledge of, and ability to use, multiple communications platforms including social media, websites (experience with WordPress advantageous), and databases
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Premiere Pro, InDesign and Illustrator advantageous
- Creative abilities to produce, or facilitate the production of, multimedia and graphics advantageous
- Photography, design or videography experience advantageous
- Initiative and ability to think creatively
- Analytical skills and ability to rapidly pull together complex information
- Ability to work under pressure, perform multiple tasks, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- IT proficiency;
- Adaptable and flexible during pressurised times
- Experience working with community organisations preferable
- A commitment to social justice
Submit a CV and a maximum of one-page cover letter to [email protected]
Application Deadline: Tuesday, 9 April, 2019