The Social Justice Coalition (SJC) is a democratic, mass-based social movement that campaigns for the advancement of the constitutional rights to life, dignity, equality, freedom and safety for all people, but especially those living in informal settlements across South Africa.
Job Title: Media and Communications Officer
Location: Khayelitsha, Cape Town.
Employment Type: Full-time basis
Start date: To fill this position immediately.
The purpose of the position will be to develop and implement the SJC’s strategies for communications, content development, and the media.
- Assist with drafting and production of content for outward communications, including press statements, multimedia, newsletters, and other publications;
- Develop and implement targeted communications strategies for the SJC as a whole;
- Manage day to day digital communications, in particular social media;
- Ensure digital platforms such as the website are maintained and kept up to date;
- Maintain the SJC’s database of press, support and partner lists, and develop new systems where required to maximize these lists;
- Ensure effective communication with SJC constituencies and related stakeholders including those within the database;
- Engage with the media and maintain press contacts on an ongoing basis;
- Track media coverage of issues related to the SJC’s work and assist with the dissemination of selected coverage within the SJC and its branches.
- A relevant tertiary qualification;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent research, writing, and speaking skills;
- Photography, design and videography experience
- Good knowledge of, and ability to use, multiple communications platforms including social media, websites (experience with WordPress advantageous), and databases;
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Premiere Pro, InDesign & Illustrator advantageous
- Creative abilities to produce, or facilitate the production of, multimedia and graphics advantageous;
- Good initiative and ability to think creatively;
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to rapidly pull together complex information;
- Ability to work under pressure, perform multiple tasks, and meet deadlines;
- Be able to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Excellent IT proficiency;
- Adaptable and flexible during pressurized times;
- Experience working with community organisations preferable;
- A commitment to social justice.
If you feel you meet the above criteria and are interested in joining a hardworking and dynamic team of activists working to improve conditions in South Africa’s townships please email your curriculum vitae and a maximum one-page cover letter to: email@example.com.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, 14 April, 2020