The South African Federation for Mental Health (SAFMH) is an NGO that aims to coordinate, monitor and promote services for persons with intellectual and psychosocial disabilities, as well as to promote mental health and wellbeing for all South Africans.
Job Title: Programmes Coordinator
Location: Ferndale, Gauteng.
The purpose of the position is to provide direction, expertise, and leadership in the successful management of all SAFMH’s programmes and leading a team of dedicated programmes staff, along with conceptualising and managing national mental health programmes and budgets. At the core of this position is the need to have a 360° understanding of the mental health sector, disability, staff management, project and budget development and management, and a sound grasp of how to strategically help bring mental health to the fore across the South Africa landscape.
- Planning, developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating a range of mental health programmes
- Managing a dynamic team of programmes staff responsible for a range of national mental health programmes
- Designing and managing mental health programmes and budgets in collaboration with fellow staff and management
- Contributing towards and managing SAFMH’s programmatic business plans, including report writing, budget management, monitoring and evaluation
- Designing interventions to help advocate for the rights of mental health care users and raise awareness of mental health at a local, national and international level
- Human resources management, including ongoing staff supervision and performance appraisals
- Utilising in-depth knowledge on mental health, disability, advocacy and human rights to develop innovative, fit-for-purpose strategies, interventions and programmes to help raise awareness about and capacitate the mental health sector in South Africa
- Support and help coordinate the work of the South African Mental Health Advocacy Movement (SAMHAM) and mobilise them into actively becoming involved in provincial, national and international advocacy activities
- Liaising with media, government departments, partner organisations, stakeholders, corporates and other stakeholders about mental health at a national and international level
- Working with staff, mental health care user groups, families, professionals, Government and other stakeholders to actively advocate and campaign for the rights of mental health care users and increased mental health resources at all levels
- Oversee the management of SAFMH’s social media and website platforms.
- The position requires a highly energetic, dynamic and flexible individual to drive national mental health programmes in an enthusiastic and innovative way
- The person will be required to be highly professional, presentable, flexible and an outstanding and reliable ambassador for SAFMH
- Strong evidence of staff management and leadership
- Domestic and international traveling might be required, so a willingness and ability to travel is essential
- Relevant qualifications such as degree in Psychology or Industrial Psychology
- Excellent public speaking, presentation, facilitation and event management skills
- 3 to 5 years’ experience at Project Manager, Supervisor or equivalent level
- Experience in mental health, disability, advocacy, project management, monitoring and evaluation is essential
- Experience of dealing with all forms of media, including social media
- High level of literacy and excellent written, communication and admin skills are essential
- The ability to liaise with and relate to a wide range of audiences
- Critical thinker and able to use initiative and work autonomously
- Highly organised, adaptable, enthusiastic and results driven, with a passion to make a difference
- Valid driver’s license.
Submit a CV, motivation letter and contactable referees to [email protected]
Application Deadline: Friday, 7 February, 2020