The South African National AIDS Council Trust (the SANAC Trust) leads South Africa’s response to the national HIV, TB & STIs epidemics. The Trust is building a dynamic team that can facilitate its effective leadership of the national response. We are, therefore recruiting a Technical TB Advisor for our organization.
Job Title: Technical Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor
Location: Hatfield, Pretoria.
Reporting to: Technical Support Unit Lead
Duration: 2 Years 6 Months contract
The purpose of the position is to provide overall Technical guidance in Monitoring & Evaluation to the SANAC Trust and the Global Fund Unit in implementing the national monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the country’s response to HIV, AIDS, TB and STIs. To provide strategic information on M&E for the NSP/PSP on HIV, STI, and TB. This position will support the SANAC Trust to build, coordinate and strengthen monitoring and evaluation systems including Key Populations programs.
- Leading the Technical Support Unit with a broad range of responsibilities related to the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and programmatic components of grants.
- In close collaboration with all members of the Technical Support Unit (TSU), CCM Secretariat and Global Fund Principal Recipients (PRs), ensuring that HIV and TB investments in the country achieve the goals and objectives set forth by in-country stakeholders.
- Defining strategic investments in the grants.
- Establishing a framework to measure performance.
- Enabling M&E systems strengthening and liaising with technical partners to improve service quality.
- Identifying opportunities and strategies to overcome bottlenecks to maximize efficiencies and impact.
- Analysing information from various sources and providing advice on aspects related to quality of services, appropriateness of interventions, updated guidance from technical partners, and overcoming barriers to effective program implementation.
- Contributing to the design and management of grants using professional knowledge and experience.
- Acting as a technical reference point on M&E and programmatic issues for Global Fund grants.
- Ensuring effective implementation and compliance with the Global Fund M&E policies and guidelines.
- Leading and advising on strategic investments and developing M&E frameworks
- Participating in the Country Dialogue process for Global Fund proposal development and support prioritization of appropriate package of interventions to achieve impact.
- Ensuring that HIV and TB investments are appropriate to the country’s epidemiological context, are in alignment with the National Strategic Plan, strategic investment frameworks and programmatic gap analysis.
- Coordinating HIV and TB country stakeholders to facilitate alignment with latest guidance provided by technical partners and consistent with the country’s health policies and procedures.
- Providing clarifications to the Technical Review Panel and Grant Approval Committee on Public Health and M&E issues during GF proposal review process and during grant making.
- Leading negotiations of indicators and targets for grant monitoring and assessment of performance.
- Identifying opportunities to strengthen M&E systems and improving program and data quality.
- Be the focal point for transparent communication and engagement with partners on related M&E and programmatic issues and progress of implementation with in country national program counterparts as well as technical partners.
- Leading discussions with partners and in country stakeholders on strategic investments, prioritization of interventions for Key Populations, women and girls.
- Building resilient and sustainable systems for health and community response systems.
- Providing leadership of adequate coordination with partners in planning and implementation of M&E activities at country level.
- Leading M&E and programmatic risk assurance mechanism for data and program quality.
- Managing and leading the development of a risk assurance plan linked to program and data quality including risk mitigation measures and assurance mechanisms.
- Providing strategic guidance on resolving bottlenecks related to data collection, reporting and delivery of quality services.
- Selecting appropriate programs and data quality assessment tools, and monitoring the implementation of the recommendations of the national counterparts.
- Identifying data gaps and ensuring that adequate funds are allocated for data systems for routine reporting.
- Ensuring the availability of data for reporting on impact including disaggregated data by relevant population groups at national and sub-national levels.
- Leading, planning and implementation of special initiatives to provide additional data to measure impact in selected Key Populations programmes.
- Ensuring the establishment of systems for the measurement of data in priority work streams (such as women, girls and Key Populations);
- In close collaboration with other SANAC Trust Units such as NSP Unit, SI Unit and Stakeholder Management Unit define programmatic evaluation needs.
- Leading the review of evaluation findings and recommendations, ensuring generation of quality reports and use of data for funding decisions.
- Leading training and capacity building of internal and external stakeholders including Principal Recipients, Sub Recipients, CCM Oversight Committee etc. on M&E policies, procedures and tools.
- Advanced University Degree in medicine, public health, health system management, health economics, epidemiology or related field
- At least 7-10 years of professional experience nationally working in planning, management and M&E of programs in the health sector, including in developing countries;
- Sound M&E knowledge and experience in public health and disease program management with focus on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and STIs.
- Robust experience in planning, collecting, analysing and reporting information for assessing progress and ensuring program and data quality.
- Solid experience in developing partnership in M&E and in managing complex M&E issues and deliverables at country, regional and international level.
- Rich professional experience, including a track record of working in strategy and policy analysis, program planning and management, and/or equivalent experience.
- Solid understanding and experience of strategic, organizational and management issues.
- Solid understanding of Global Fund processes and the Global Fund New Funding Model.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to apply sound knowledge of M&E, public health and disease program management, to inform investment decisions of HIV and TB programmes;
- Ability to apply sound knowledge and understanding of M&E tools, policies and guidelines, to ensure effective implementation of M&E-related activities
- Ability to solve complex issues with minimum guidance and supervision, and to adapt policy and guidance to the country reality and context
- Ability to take the lead in solving complex issues. Adapt policy and guidance to the reality and context
- The position requires expertise in monitoring and evaluation of health programs, stakeholder engagement and partnership building, ability to make key decisions to ensure effective implementation and timely solutions.
- Knowledge and experience in the facilitation of training and mentoring in organisational development content areas.
- Strong Knowledge Management skills
- Project management skills;
- Report writing and presentation skills;
- Computer literacy with high proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Initiative and working ability to work independently
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of other local languages would be an advantage;
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity, understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas
- Ability to work in a deadline-oriented environment
- Flexibility to work beyond regular normal business hours
- Ability to travel upon request
- Valid Code B Drivers’ license
- Should you be in possession of a foreign qualification, it must be accompanied by an evaluation certificate from the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA).
Applications should be emailed to [email protected]. Kindly indicate the name of the position on the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, 27 August, 2019