The South African Red Cross Society (SARCS) is a National Society that was established by an Act of Parliament as a humanitarian organization auxiliary to the Government in the humanitarian field.
The auxiliary mandate of SARCS as stipulated in the Red Cross Act, demands that it plays a pivotal role in complimenting Governments efforts in Disaster management, Social Services and Health Services. The SARCS service provision aims at preventing and alleviating human suffering, protecting life and health, and restoring the dignity of the most vulnerable communities.
Job Title: Disaster Management Officer
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To coordinate the implementation of disaster risk reduction and emergency response programme activities. This entails strengthening community resilience to disasters, strengthening the SARCS humanitarian response and advancing learning through innovative knowledge management.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Assist in strengthening disaster management capacities of Branches and Provinces to ensure timely and effective humanitarian response.
- Coordinate knowledge management and lesson learning mechanisms and tools. Develop innovative approaches to:
- contingency planning
- community disaster response teams
- emergency and vulnerability capacity assessment processes
- shelter and recovery technical programming
- community based disaster risk reduction
- Facilitate programme monitoring, including regular financial and narrative reporting as well as innovative lesson learning, and evaluation based on Disaster Management.
- Ensure close coordination, and integration with other SARCS programmes
- To strengthen local disaster management capacities to ensure timely and effective humanitarian response.
- Establish small scale local level risk reduction projects and preparedness for response measures that strengthen disaster resilience of communities.
- Identify training needs in communities and ensure the required training.
- Assist Branches in identifying priorities of the selected communities through Vulnerability Capacity Assessments, and the development of community action plans.
- Collect, compile and analyze data for the community baselines and design appropriate interventions.
- Ensure active participation of relevant stakeholders in facilitating and supporting community project activities their monitoring and evaluation in the target communities.
- Good knowledge and understanding of Risk Reduction and Disaster Management
- Natural resources management, climate issues and early warning systems
- Competency in MS Office
- Results driven
- Emotional intelligence
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Strategic thinking
- Understanding of Participatory Development Approaches
- Training and presentation skills
- Knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and remote sensing will be an added advantage
- University Degree in Development Studies, Social, Community Health Sciences, Disaster Management or equivalent.
- At least five years working experience in a related field.
- SARCS offers a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
APPLICANTS SHOULD PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS
- Detailed curriculum vitae
- Three work related and traceable references
- Certified copy of identity card
- Certified copies of academic certificates
- Certified copy of drivers license
If you consider yourself to be the best candidate for these positions, please send your application letter, together with your CV and work-related references to: [email protected]
Application Deadline: 29th May 2020