The Zero Dropout Schools Initiative (ZDSI) aims to halve the number of learners pushed out of the education system before grade 12. Through this ambitious vision, ZDSI sets a common agenda that mobilises and directs the activities of a diverse range of stakeholders towards enabling a significant decline in school dropout. ZDSI is a project of the DG Murray Trust (DGMT).
ZDSI is recruiting a Networks and Advocacy Lead to provide strategic vision and to drive the development and mobilisation of a network of schools committed to zero learner dropout. The Networks and Advocacy Lead will be required to:
Job Title: Networks & Advocacy Lead
Location: South Africa
Job function and responsibilities
Develop, execute and manage a national school mobilisation and behaviour change strategy:
- Develop and execute a mobilisation strategy to create a network of schools that are committed to the vision of zero dropout.
- Create and drive mechanisms to engage schools, communities and learners around an agenda for zero dropout.
- Surface learning and progress from school and stakeholder engagement and work with the Communication Manager to ensure these are documented and packaged as public communication products across various mediums.
- Build feedback loops for continued engagement and learning amongst schools and stakeholders.
Develop, execute and manage a public advocacy strategy for campaign management:
- Develop and manage mechanisms and platforms that allow the network of schools to collectively advocate for change.
- Identify and build relationships with relevant stakeholders across sectors to implement recommendations and learning.
- Identify and build platforms and coalitions that support and grow the movement.
Core skills and background
- A relevant post graduate qualification – e.g. in education, project management, and/or community development.
- Minimum 3 years work experience – preferably in advocacy, campaigning and/or coalition building.
- Managed a range of diverse stakeholders and facilitated processes for consensus building.
- Built strong coalitions to drive strategic outputs.
- Enjoys engaging with people, is persuasive and can inspire champions for the zero dropout agenda.
- Drivers license and willingness to travel essential.
- Preferably fluent in 2+ South African languages.
- Experience in working with schools is preferable.
Submit a motivation letter, your CV (including the details of 3 referees) to [email protected] with ‘Networks & Advocacy Lead’ in the subject line
Application Deadline: 25th October 2019