TIPS is a nonprofit economic research organisation based in Pretoria, South Africa. The organisation facilitates policy development and dialogue in pursuit of sustainable and inclusive growth. TIPS has three main focus areas: Trade and Industrial Policy, Inequality and Economic Inclusion and Sustainable Growth. Its working model integrates research and analysis, policy development, disseminating information, capacity building, technical support, and programme design and management.
Job Title: Senior Economist (Level 1)
Job Location: Pretoria
The purpose of the Senior Economist is to undertake research on areas related to industrial development in South Africa and the region. TIPS’s research approach is on generating and analysing evidence-based options for industrial policy as the key to more inclusive economic growth.
- Undertake high quality economic research, report writing, data analysis and economic input
- Liaise with and support the relevant policy-making entities in South Africa (and elsewhere in the region as appropriate) in line with TIPS’ mandate and priorities
- Participate in internal discussions and help with mentoring and quality control within TIPS
- Contribute to preparing reports to funders/clients with the support of TIPS’s administrative staff
- Conduct ad hoc / Public good research projects as they arise with direction from the line manager
- Provide content for dissemination in conjunction with TIPS staff on research projects, events, publications, etc
- Produce independent research or expand TIPS research
- Contribute content to the TIPS website and support the release of research and information produced by TIPS into the public domain
- Provide mentorship to junior staff
- Post-graduate qualification (at least a Masters’ degree) in Economics
- Minimum of five years’ economic research and/or policy experience
- An interest and expertise in international trade, industrial policy and regional integration
- Communication skills in writing, editing and presentation
- Command of written and spoken English
- Passion for industrial policy and inclusive economic development
- Knowledge of national and international developments on industrial policy, trade and other economic issues
- Computer Literacy, with a proven ability to manipulate data in Excel and knowledge of Stata or SPSS
- Teamwork and an ability to handle tight deadlines
- Ability to design and carry out research projects within internal and external team members Ability to carry out research autonomously
To apply, submit a short CV, a cover letter highlighting your interest for the position and how you match the requirements as well as a writing sample via e-mail to Edmore at [email protected]
TIPS can only consider applications with all of these components.
Correspondence will be limited to short-listed applicants only.
Application Deadline: 20th November, 2018