The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation, implementing projects throughout Africa and making a difference in people’s lives.
About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for Internship in the Transport Systems and Operations (TSO) competence area within the Built Environment (BE) unit.
The purpose of this role is to provide administrative, project management and research support to the research group to grow human factor and socio-economic research competency in road safety, traffic management and transportation planning. The position is based in Pretoria.
- Provide administrative project management and research support to the TSO competence area. This may include general office support duties as well as research support including fieldwork activities and stakeholder interaction;
- Conduct literature reviews to assess international best practice in the field of behavioural research;
- Assist with the design, planning, execution and management of surveys;
- Assist with conceptualisation of methodologies and appropriate research tools;
- Assist with qualitative and quantitative data collection, capturing and collation;
- Assist with the development of appropriate qualitative and quantitative models and interpret their outputs.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- An Honours degree in behavioural economics or social sciences, A Master’s degree in behavioural economics, social sciences, psychology, sociology or a similar discipline would be an added advantage;
- The incumbent must be interested in pursuing a Doctorate degree;
- Registration with relevant professional body would be an added advantage;
- Planning and organising skills;
- Problem-solving and solution-seeking orientation;
- Time-management skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills;
- Ability to prioritise and multi-task;
- Ability to work with quantitative and qualitative analysis software;
- Willingness to travel within South Africa or internationally;
- Numerical and research skills;
- Mathematically inclined;
- Resourceful and versatile personality;
- Must have good communication, presentation and writing skills;
- Must be computer literate;
- Must have a valid driver’s licence.
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the Employment Equity Act of 1998. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances
) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history.
The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.