U-turn is a thriving non-profit that exist to give homeless people the skills to overcome homelessness. Founded in 1997, they believe in life after homelessness. We believe that every homeless individual should have access to an effective pathway that addresses their physical, spiritual and emotional needs so they can leave the streets and become a long-term productive member of society.
The Service Centre provides services to street people to prepare them for and support them on a journey of change. This includes providing food and clothing, therapeutic and development based interventions, and providing recovery support for those struggling with substance abuse. The ultimate aim of 1st phase services are to prepare individuals to participate in our 2nd phase work-based rehabilitation programme. Up to 70 people access the Service Centre each day.
Job Title: Service Centre Manager
Location: South Africa
The ideal candidate will be a committed Christian with therapeutic experience (e.g. a social worker, counsellor or Occupational Therapist) as well as management experience. The purpose of the service centre manager is to manage the day to day running of the U-turn Service Centre, to support the client facing staff, and also ensure that all services are provided in a therapeutic and developmental manner.
- Oversee the day to day operations of the Service Centre in Claremont. This includes managing the budget, maintaining and where necessary improving infrastructure (building & vehicle maintenance) so that services can be delivered.
- Ensure that daily services are delivered safely and efficiently at the Service Centre (i.e. Voucher earnings, Voucher shop, Food services, Group sessions and Referrals), and engage with any clients who are breaking U-turn rules.
- Manage the Service Centre staff, Life Change team based at the Centre as well as volunteers placed at the centre.
- Manage daily work tasks of Rehab Support and Transition Support clients as well as interns and volunteers placed at the service centre
- Provide oversight and support of therapeutic work at the Service Centre
- Conduct initial screenings of clients attending the Service Centre, interviews with clients and family members where necessary and undertake internal referrals to the members of the Rehab Support team.
- Present the Bible in a way that encourages change during the evening food service.
- Organise and conduct food pickups where necessary and liaise with donors.
- Build and improve the understanding of U-turn’s 1st phase work amongst partners & community (e.g. field workers forum, Claremont CID field workers etc.) This includes engaging with members of the public that drop in.
- Knowledge required
- An understanding of addiction and the process that is involved to enter and stay in recovery.
- An understanding of the problem of entitlement and how to facilitate change in this.
- Bible knowledge e.g. major doctrines, meta narrative of the bible (creation, fall, redemption, recreation)
- Skills set
- Qualification in Social Work, Occupational Therapy or counselling
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- Ability to switch between big picture and small picture.
- Emotionally mature individual
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisation skills, able to prioritize
- Ability to motivate and manage a diverse team
- A collaborative team player – concerned with the team success as well as individual performance
- A resourceful individual that is not easily flustered
- Driver’s license
Submit a detailed CV and motivational letter to [email protected]. The letter of motivation should be approximately 1 page in length and include information on why you would like to work at U-turn and how you fulfil the required knowledge skills set outlined above.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, 31 July, 2019