Ubuntu Pathways is a 20-year-old non-profit organization based in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, providing comprehensive support to over 2,000 orphaned and vulnerable children. Ubuntu Pathways has an independent school with children in grades R-4. They are approach to education is progressive, co-constructivist and nurturing.
The Ubuntu School is changing the status quo in education to create a culture of creativity and collaboration, fostering independence and supporting each child on their educational journey-while along the way, supporting each child and their family with their health and psychosocial support needs.
Job Title: Vice Principal
Location: Zwide Township, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract
Remuneration: Market Related, Additional benefits such as medical aid, provident fund, funeral cover, life cover, additional annual leave days and study leave days are also offered.
The purpose of the position will initially lead and manage the school and as the school expands to more grades a Principal could be appointed. The position will report to Ubuntu’s Executive Team. Ubuntu is looking for an open, flexible leader who aims to create a safe and supportive school environment. (S)He should promote inquiry based teaching and learning, curiosity, and play as central facets of the school’s vision and mission.
- Serve as vice-principal
- Lead and manage all daily and long-term responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Leading day-to-day functioning of the school
- Coordinating academic and timetabling programs
- Coordinating and manage events
- Working with local leaders, teachers, staff, and parents to assure a consistent, high-functioning learning environment
- Conducting parent interviews and respond to parental needs
- Implementing and maintain Code of Conduct
- Implementing a system to monitor student progress, including maintaining accurate attendance records
- Managing the school’s discretionary budget
- Managing marketing, public relations and advertising for the school
- Coordinating community development programs
- Developing student leadership
- Managing student disciplinary measures
- Developing school curriculum with the support of an advisory team
- Driving and manage innovation, research, development and implementation of initiatives
- Working directly with the Education Capacity Coach to develop and adapt the school’s academic/operating models as required
- Managing all additional school activities, including but not limited to: transportation, health and safety policies, social services, and referrals
- Working with Education Capacity Coach to manage professional development and accountability procedures for staff
- Recognized degree and/or 4-year post-matric Teaching Qualification
- Minimum 5 years teaching and management experience in a similar type of position in a similar environment
- Experience and/or willingness to lead constructivist learning activities (e.g. project-based, play-based, or inquiry based learning) in an early-primary education context
- Experience in a leadership role in an educational environment (note: prior experience as a vice principal is not required)
- Experience working with children
- Ability to motivate and deal empathetically at all levels
- Excellent interpersonal skills with colleagues, students and parents
- Ability to be energetic, self-motivates and use own initiative
- Ability to work as a team player
- Excellent organization, administrative and project management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Conflict management skills
- An innovative and creative outlook
- Comfort with experimentation and pushing the status quo
- Comfort with the ambiguity inherent in a start-up environment
- Computer literacy
- SACE Registration
- Send your CV via Email to: [email protected]
- Please do not contact or forward your application directly to Ubuntu Pathways. Make use of the above contact information.
- Make sure that your save your CV under your name AND surname.
- Make sure that you type the name of the job/position that you are applying for the “subject” section of your email.
- Please include an active and current e-mail address which can be used for communication purposes and which you are happy to receive e-mail information on regarding your application.
- Please ensure that your CV includes the following information:
- Notice Period at current place of work.
- Salary expectation – per month, basic without benefits.
- Please indicate two referees. Requirements for referees:
- must have acted as a supervisor/manager
- must give permission to act as referee and thus be contacted
- Late applications will not be considered.
- If you are not contacted within fourteen (14) days after closing date, you should consider your application to have been unsuccessful.
- Please indicate on your CV whether you have a criminal record, were found guilty of misconduct or have pending criminal or misconduct chargers.
- Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a security and credit clearance check, a competency assessment, signing a performance contract on appointment and signing an employment contract on appointment.
For more about Ubuntu Pathways, refer to https://ubuntupathways.org/
Application Deadline: Friday, 23 October, 2020