Umthathi Training Project is a nonprofit organisation that promotes a better quality of life and sustainable healthy living through an integrated capacity-building programme in organic food production, nutrition and health, income generation, cultivation and conservation of useful indigenous plants.
Umthathi conducts a “Healthy Living” developmental education and training programme that aims to improve the quality of life and enable sustainable health for poor and vulnerable community members and school learners within a 200km radius of Grahamstown.
Job Title: Director
Job Location: Grahamstown
Remuneration: The salary is in the range R18,000 to R24,000 per month, commensurate with qualification and experience.
Duration: This is a full time, 12months position renewable at the Board’s discretion.
The purpose of this position is to effectively plan, coordinate, oversee and manage the staff, activities and reporting of the organisation in order to implement Umthathi’s vision and mission. A further core function is fundraising; including maintaining existing funding streams and developing new streams.
- A minimum of a first Degree or equivalent in the fields of community development, economics, organisational or project management is required
- A minimum of five years relevant operational management experience is required, at least three of which should have been in a management position at a community development project.
- Skills in NGO management, with proven ability to manage an organisation’s operations (including programme coordination and implementation, operational quality management, human resources, fundraising, finances, monitoring, evaluation and reporting)
- Fluency in spoken and written English and isiXhosa is essential
- Proficiency in mathematics, financial and accounting skills are required
- Strong computer literacy skills are required with a thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office and internet related software
- Proven experience and skills in addressing local community members and meetings, and ability to interact respectfully and appropriately with the broad range of stakeholders Umthathi engages with
- Ability to work with Umthathi’s staff and Board of Trustees to plan the activities of the organisation
- Ability to work independently but with accountability and transparency
- Plan own and other personnel’s work
- Meet deadlines
- Plan, organise and conduct meetings
- Liaise with external organisations in planning partnered work
- Implement policies
- Willingness to travel and work in poorly resourced areas of the Eastern Cape is essential
- Code EB drivers licence is a requirement of this position
Submit your application to Lawrence Sisitka [email protected], including:
Application Deadline: Friday, 5 July, 2019