If you are passionate about building a just and equal South Africa then consider joining the #UniteBehind coalition. #UniteBehind is looking for a leader experienced in the struggles of the poor and working-class to become its Coordinator. #UniteBehind coalition seeks to appoint a new Coordinator.
Job Title: Coordinator
Job Location: Cape Town
Responsibilities: Governance and operations
- The Coordinator will directly oversee the staff (employees) of #UniteBehind and the be responsible for the day-to-day running of the #UniteBehind office. In collaboration with other parts of #UniteBehind management, the Coordinator will also oversee all financial, human resources, policies and practices, including the preparation of the annual budget, staff recruitment and performance management.
- The Coordinator will lead key elements of strategic direction and most implementation of strategies and programs towards the colaition’s vision and objectives. The Coordinator will do this working closely with and being accountable to the Organising Secretariat, the elected leadership of #UniteBehind.
- The Coordinator of #UniteBehind will be an essential leader within the coalition. The Coordinator will oversee the day-to-day work on public campaigns carried out by employees and members of #UniteBehind.
- The Coordinator must lead by example and according to the principles and values of #UniteBehind. In doing so, they should inspire the people around them to their fullest potential and thus the struggles and campaigns of #UniteBehind and its members.
Affiliate and partnership engagement
#UniteBehind is a coalition of various peoples’ movements and NGOs who are its affiliates. Their participation in #UniteBehind, and subsequent collaboration and unity is essential and ultimately the core purpose of #UniteBehind. Alongside the Organising Secretariat, the Coordinator will need to lead efforts to keep affiliates appropriately engaged, informed, and aligned with #UniteBehind’s programmes in realising its vision and objectives. Much of the above is the same for non-affiliate partners and key funders.
- Around 5 years substantial experience of grassroots organising, community-based struggles, progressive social movements and campaigns.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as an activist leader working for social justice in South Africa.
- Strong knowledge of political economy, law, history and policy are valuable.
- Fluency in at least two of Cape Town’s three main languages is advantageous (English, IsiXhosa and Afrikaans).
- An undergraduate university degree.
- A relevant post-graduate degree is desirable.
- Experience in leading and building campaigns on issues of social justice in particular those with a focus on inequality, injustice, and oppression. Of import is being able to develop and implement effective strategies and tactics.
- Sound experience and skills in leading and managing people, and overseeing financial resources.
- Enthusiasm for, and experience in building the knowledge, confidence and leadership capacity of young people in South Africa.
- Practice in building and sustaining collaborative team work.
Application Process#UniteBehind is committed to equity in employment practices and is keen to make an appointment to meet these objectives. For this post we seek particularly to attract Black or Coloured South African candidates. All other interested candidates, including foreign nationals are eligible to apply.
This position is based in Cape Town and is being offered as a one-year contract pending funding renewals. Salary will commensurate with experience and #UniteBehind’s designated salary bands.
Interested candidates must send a letter of motivation, contact details of 3 work related referees, and CV to Rene Markgraaf. Email: [email protected]
Closing date is 17th January 2018. Contact will only be made with shortlisted candidates who will start the selection process through interviews.
After the completion of the selection process, the successful applicant will be required to start by April 1st2018, but is encouraged to start as soon as possible.