Nominations for the 14th class of the Nippon Foundation / General Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans (GEBCO) programme, are now open.
POSTGRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN OCEAN BATHYMETRY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, USA (2017-2018)
This twelve month training course will take place at the University of Hampshire in the USA.
Upon completing the course, students will receive a certificate in Ocean Mapping.
The purpose of this programme is to train scientists and hydrographers in ocean bathymetry.
GEBCO works with the scientific and hydrographic communities through the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO and the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO).
Application deadline is 31 March 2017.
Be available to start their studies in the USA from August 2017
- Provide the results of Test of English as a Foreign Language test, as proof that they will be able to successfully complete their studies in English
- Be in possession of a four year Bachelor’s degree in Science or Engineering
- Meet the minimum requirements for international students, as set by the Graduate School of the University of New Hampshire.
The course syllabus includes:
- Satellite altimetry
- Sonar performance
- Survey design
- Uncertainty management
- Margin and abyssal sediments
- Bottom composition and acoustic backscatter
- Structure of ocean basins
- Physical oceanography
- Data analysis and integration
- Surface interpolation
Information on the application process is available on the website:
What the scholarship covers
- Tuition fees
- Computer hardware, software and textbooks
- Return flight ticket
- Return flight ticket and living expenses for one trip to obtain work experience at another institution active in bathymetry (subject to opportunities).
- Return flight and living expenses for the student to participate in a data collection cruise on a research or survey ship (subject to opportunities).
HOW TO APPLY
Click Here to NIPPON preliminary application form 2017 Application form
Click Here to SCHOLARSHIP