The purpose of the position is to:
- Initiate, stimulate and participate in individual and collaborative ODL research and research projects.
- Conduct ODL research in order to produce at least four accredited research outputs in a period of three years, thereby enhancing the University’s standing as a research institute of international repute.
- Organise conferences, seminars and research colloquia in ODL.
- Assist and where appropriate supervise postgraduate students.
- Provide support and contribute to ODL capacity development.
- Be involved in community engagement and academic citizenship.
- Contribute to achieving the department’s strategic and operational objectives through the above-mentioned endeavours.
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in Education, E-learning, distance education or related fields and an intention to register for a PhD/Doctorate (in ODL education or e-learning).
- Must have at least three years teaching or research experience in a higher education institution, preparing learning resources and using a range of technologies.
- Demonstrated potential to do and publish research and present papers.
- Knowledge of ODL, e-learning and distance education theories and praxis.
- Ability to participate in collaborative research activities.
- Skills needed: presentation, conduct data analysis and use data analysis software e.g. Atlas.ti or SPSS.
- Minimum of two accredited research outputs over the preceding five years.
- Proven experience in a range of research methodologies and data analysis.
- Willingness to geographically relocate for short-term periods as a visiting researcher.
- Proven research publication record.
- Experience in the organization of events, seminars, colloquia.
- Proven track record to attract research funding.
- NRF rating
- Identifies, develops research proposals and conducts individual and collaborative multi-, inter- and trans- disciplinary (MIT) reflexive research on the impact of teaching and learning in an ODL context.
- Develops proposals for funding purposes to support ODL research projects
- Organises and participates in departmental, institutional, national and international conferences, seminars and research colloquia.
- Presents papers at institutional, national and international conferences.
- Publishes at least four accredited research outputs in a period of three years.
- Participates in, serves and occasionally leads project teams that conduct ODL research.
- Reviews academic outputs and research reports.
- Participates in ODL research capacity development.
- Assists in the supervision of postgraduate students where appropriate.
Salary: Remuneration is commensurate with the seniority of the position
Closing date: 16 November 2012