Posted on :
16 May, 2014
16 May, 2014
The U.S. Consulate General in Cape Town is seeking an individual for the position of Information Assistant in the Public Affairs Section.
ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT APPLICANTS WHO ARE NOT SOUTH AFRICAN CITIZENS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
NOTE: ALL APPLICANTS MUST ADDRESS EACH SELECTION CRITERION DETAILED BELOW WITH SPECIFIC AND COMPREHENSIVE INFORMATION SUPPORTING EACH ITEM. Items 1- 5 are ALL REQUIRED
– Completion of secondary school (Grade 12) is required.
– Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field is required.
* Post Matric education requirement may be substituted with three additional years of progressive work experience. Please see section below.
– Three years of progressively responsible work experience in professional setting in media, on-line advertising, and education field is required.
OR: In the absence of Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field, six years of progressively responsible work experience in professional setting in media, on-line advertising, and education field is required.
– English level IV (fluent) reading/writing/speaking is required. This will be tested.
– Afrikaans level III (good working knowledge) reading/writing/speaking is required.
– Understanding of operations and needs of South Africa’s print, electronic and on-line media organizations and practitioners set against backdrop of South Africa’s political, economic and social contexts is required.
5. Skills and Abilities:
– Must be a strong communicator, in both written and verbal form.
– Must operate comfortably and responsibly in social-media environment.
– Must possess solid organizational, event-management and interpersonal skills.
– Must offer advice and guidance with detachment and objectivity.
– Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite is required. MS Word 2007 intermediate level will be tested.
Basic Function of Position:
Under general supervision of the Public Affairs Officer, the incumbent is consulate’s primary point of contact for all traditional and on-line media in the Western, Eastern and Northern Cape provinces. Draws on knowledge of local media landscape and U.S. policy goals to flag news items requiring response and to craft media strategies to optimize consulate’s outreach and messaging efforts. Contributes daily to media summaries produced jointly with colleagues at Mission-SA constituent posts. Orchestrates all Post media interactions at all levels of attribution.
Basic Salary: R197,638 – R276,695 per annum
Cash Benefits: R56,530 – R63,118 per annum
Non-cash benefits include medical, pension and others where applicable
How to Apply
Closingdate: June 13, 2014 (Close of Business)
For more details on the Application and Selection process, please go to:
Please note that this link will take you to the p-net site.