Viewfinder is an accountability journalism unit that does long-term investigations into abuses of power which impact on the public interest, specifically as it relates to the need for equality and re-dress, in South Africa.
Our flagship project aims to expose the underpinnings of police brutality and non-accountability in SA. Viewfinder is a Cape Town-based organisation but this position can be based anywhere in the country.
Job Title: Investigative reporter
Location: South Africa
- Work alongside Viewfinder editor to execute predefined investigative reporting briefs on police brutality and oversight failures in South Africa
- Prospect new avenues for investigation, develop story briefs and pitches, conduct investigations, and produce compelling, evidence-based and impact-orientated journalism
- Five years experience as a reporter
- A strong portfolio, which demonstrates a track record of impactful reporting on social justice issues in South Africa
- An appreciation for the basics of good investigative reporting: source development, securing access to open-sources and hidden records.
- A knack for field reporting, good writing and story-telling (to demonstrate the human stories behind the abuses of power that your investigations expose)
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Drivers license
Attributes that are a plus:
- An understanding of the criminal justice system in SA
- A background in data science and analysis
Send your CV along with a cover letter, and three examples of work that you are most proud of to [email protected].
Application Deadline: Monday, 30 November, 2020