At the heart of WaterAid’s mission is the need to influence and accelerate change so that everyone, everywhere has access to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) by 2030. To deliver our ambitious agenda, we require strong, effective communications to help drive the change we want to see. Our communications work aims to amplify our messages to end the WASH crisis, influencing change, building awareness and knowledge amongst all those who can help deliver our vision.
Job Title: Regional Communications Manager (2 year FTC)
The Regional Communications Manager will be responsible for creating and leading a regional communications strategy that focuses on and maximises key moments to influence and elevate attention to the WASH crisis in Southern Africa and internationally. The role is required to ensure that communications work across the region is an effective strand of our advocacy strategy; that attention to WASH is maximised; and that communication is built into all programme and advocacy initiatives.
The role will support colleagues in the Country Programmes in strategic communications work and closely with teams across Southern Africa and beyond. Driving higher profile and more effective media engagement, and coordinating social media and digital work with the objective of building awareness of the issues of WASH will be key aspects of the role.
- Develop and lead a regional media and communications strategy that is aligned to regional strategic objectives, uses the channels that are most likely to reach and influence our target audiences, elevates attention to the water and sanitation crisis in the region and increases visibility for WaterAid’s work amongst target audiences regionally, nationally and globally.
- Influence and guide staff in other departments to ensure that communications and media work are built into annual country programme and departmental plans.
- Develop strong relationships with communications staff across the region to coordinate all national communications strategies; helping to maximise national opportunities, align messaging across the region to amplify advocacy and awareness messaging, sharing best practice and identifying skills gap. Providing or facilitating and coordinating training as required.
- Use insight research into audiences, channels and messaging to target communications for maximum impact.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of WaterAid’s work across the region and highlight research that can help influence wider change and bring it to our target audiences.
- Produce a communications planner that identifies key opportunities such as national and international events/moments and prioritises them according to the strategy. Lead on the roll out of the plans.
- Measure and review the impact of communications outputs to inform future initiatives.
Media and Social Media engagement
- Lead on media relations with regional and international outlets focusing on the Southern African region and oversee strategic management of media and digital communications channels, regional and global, to raise the profile of WASH issues and WaterAid’s work.
- Lead the region in building a comprehensive network of journalists, broadcasters and commentators in the local, national and international media to increase interest in and understanding of WASH issues and .WaterAid’s work.
- Lead on a push for greater, more effective engagement with influential media outlets in the Southern Africa region.
- Work with colleagues in the region and globally to plan media and social media to enhance and promote WaterAid’s advocacy and campaigns work, positioning WaterAid as a key WASH player.
- Work closely with global communications colleagues to develop plans for key moments to influence.
- Support the Regional Director in crisis communications, working with the Global Media team. Ensure all external communications are passed through appropriate sign off channels in order to mitigate potential risks to WaterAid’s reputation.
Campaigns and events
- Represent WaterAid at regional and international meetings, forums and other events with partners and decision makers.
- Work with the International Communications Manager to ensure that communications skills gaps in the region are identified and training provided
- Support the Senior Regional Management Team, Country Directors and other members of the senior management team to effectively act as media spokespersons and to build their media skills.
- Champion the WaterAid brand and ensure its effective use across the region.
- Manage the Regional Communications budget in consultation with the Regional Director
- Carry out any assigned role related duties.
Specific Context Requirements
Travel: Regular in-country and regional travel, and international travel where applicable
Functional Relationships: As this role has global influence, the post holder will have monthly meetings with both the Global Head of Media and the Head of Brand and Creative, based in London, UK. This is to ensure that we maximize global opportunities and to ensure objectives and messages are aligned. These
roles will also input in to annual performance reviews and into objective setting. They both will provide training and support where needed.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- Degree in relevant discipline, preferably a Master’s Degree in Communications.
- Minimum of ten years working in a media and communications role with at least five managing other people.
- Ability to lead on the effective, strategic roll out of a communications strategy that is able to maximise opportunities and influence change.
- Demonstrable experience of writing and leading communications strategies and using insight and analytics to determine priorities.
- Strong, proven experience of working with journalists, preferably around development issues.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to empower and enable communications teams.
- Proven experience of using multiple channels – print and digital – as tools for engagement, influencing and fundraising.
- Proven experience of acting as an organizational spokesperson, experience of giving media interviews and briefings
- Excellent written and editorial skills, with a keen eye for detail and the ability to write tailored, effective content for specific audiences.
- Good command of written and spoken English
- Experience of delivering communications training to different groups of people
- Excellent IT skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Proficiency in either Portuguese or French will be advantageous.
- Experience of working with an NGO will be advantageous
- Event Management experience is desirable
- Strong ability to forge effective collaborative working relationships within the team and with colleagues from across the organisation.
- Excellent, proven ability to think innovatively and creatively to produce a wide range of communications content.
- Excellent organisation and time management skills. Able to prioritise workloads and work under pressure.
- Good knowledge and understanding of development issues and WASH issues in particular.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work/connect with diverse culture/contexts
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your CV , covering letter and clear details of your current or more recent remuneration to [email protected] with “Communications Manager” as the subject.
Applications Deadline: Friday, 2 August, 2019