WaterAid is looking for an energetic funding/business development coordinator to help us secure significant multi-year funding from a diverse portfolio of institutional and private donors and through the WaterAid Federation. The coordinator will help the Regional Funding Manager (Southern Africa) based in Lusaka, to cultivate donors and strategic partnerships in the region, as well as leveraging support and funding from the various WaterAid affiliate member offices. Coordinating funding and contract management activities across the 5 Country Programmes, through the Country Heads of Funding and other relevant staff forms a crucial part of the role, and the postholder will be responsible for implementing the required systems and processes to enable the CPs to do effective fund management and comply with donor contractual requirements.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation. We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
Job Title: Regional Business Development Coordinator
Location: Either in Lusaka or Pretoria
Reports to: Regional Funding Manager – Southern Africa
Contract type: One-year Fixed Term Contract
As a member of the Southern Africa Regional team, this role supports the Regional Funding Manager in positioning WaterAid in Southern Africa to secure significant multi-year funding from a diverse portfolio of institutional and private donors, often through consortia working. The role will involve both cultivating donors and other strategic partnerships in Southern Africa as well as leveraging support and funding from the various WaterAid affiliate member offices. The postholder will also be responsible for implementing the required systems and processes to enable the CPs to do effective fund management and comply with donor contractual requirements.
Strategy and Strategic advice
- Support Regional Funding Manager in implementing and reviewing the regional funding strategy covering both business development and contract management improvement plans for CPs.
- Support the implementation and review of the regional business development strategy, including communication of key priorities to all internal stakeholders in countries and regional team.
- Support the Regional Funding Manger in the day to day performance monitoring of funding and contract related annual performance indicators.
- Communicate and provide timely specialised strategic funding advice, as agreed with the Regional Funding Manager, to country and regional management teams to aid effective decision-making on funding related issues.
- Support the Regional Funding Manager to ensure effective coordination and facilitation of funding between Country Programmes and WaterAid UK global teams/other WaterAid Members. This includes sharing of funding opportunities and identifying and making country needs (for instance for priority funding or support requests) visible.
- Lead on appropriate engagement of the programme management line (CDs, Regional Director, International Programme Department and CEO) in restricted funding authorisation.
- Take responsibility for the day to day funding coordination activities. This includes working with countries on annual business development priorities, following up on funding targets, following up on agreed country priorities , promptly sharing required information and responding to queries from donor relationship leads based in UK and WaterAid member countries.
- Be responsible for the review and coordination of CP’s programmes design, coordinating the review of concepts and proposals (including budgets) with the respective business units such a programmes and finance.
- Coordinate and support the development of the appropriate concept seeking donor notes.
Contract Management Oversight
- Do quality control of the day to day management of contracts across the region. In particular, identify and review high risk grant progress and reports and make recommendations to the Regional Funding Manager on which contracts would need extra attention.
- Manage the consolidated regional contract tracker through compiling and analysing data in the tracker and setting up monthly contract review meetings with each Head of Funding to discuss the status of each contract.
- Lead on RIS compliance and alert contract owners to missing information on. WA’s system to track Restricted Opportunities.
- Coordinate with other functions (programmes and finance) on contracts which might require their input and support.
- Provide technical support to CPs where necessary, including supporting the induction of new staff and relevant capacity development for programme, finance and funding staff in CPs.
Regional Business Development
- Lead the review and implementation of the regional level business development strategy for key regional donors.
- Ensure ongoing engagement of regional donors by key regional and CP staff.
- Develop a tracking mechanism for key engagements within the region, and populate the contact data base (which includes Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 donors as outlined the restricted income funding strategy).
- Update the key business development supplier data base for the Southern Africa region, including regular updates of the ranking matrix to identify priority potential partnerships.
- Willingness to travel to countries in the Southern Africa region and some travel to WaterAid head office in London.
Experience and Technical Skills
- Post graduate degree in international development or other related discipline (or equivalent experience gained by other means)
- This is not a junior or starter role, so we require at least 5 to 7 years of relevant work experience with at least 2 years at a project manager level with responsibility for business development in a similar organization
- Some experience soliciting funds and managing grants/contracts from key multilateral and bilateral donors including USAID, DFID, EC, Sida etc.
- Experience in leading bids and developing donor specific results frameworks, technical narratives and budgets
- Experience in coordinating internal bid review and sign off processes
- Experience in managing contract inception, donor compliance monitoring and reporting
- Experience of working in consortia to secure and manage donor funding
- Experience in securing and managing commercial and/or results-based contracts is desirable
- An existing network of contacts within institutional, corporate and philanthropic donors as well as other strategic partners is desirable
Personal qualities and skills
- Strong numerical ability, ability to develop and review complex budgets
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including excellent report writing skills, and the ability to communicate information and ideas effectively
- Excellent inter-personal and networking skills with experience of developing and cultivating effective network of business development contacts and relationships
- Ability to transform strategy into actionable plans
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced working environment and effectively plan, prioritise and co-ordinate work of self and other colleagues
- Ability to ‘manage without authority’ and influence others to achieve results and deliver on time
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to produce high quality and accurate information and documentation
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your CV , covering letter and clear details of your current or more recent remuneration to SouthAfricaAdmin@wateraid.org with “Business Development Coordinator” as the subject. Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in eitherSouth Africa or Zambia.
Application Deadline: Friday, 14 February, 2020