The Wits Health Consortium (Pty) Limited (WHC) is wholly-owned by the University of the Witwatersrand. We are the support operation through which the University – primarily its Faculty of Health Sciences – conducts research, manages donor-funded activities, pursues entrepreneurial innovation in health and supports clinical trials.
Job Title: Finance Manager
Job Location: Parktown
Key performance areas
To provide a strategic and enabling financial and administrative framework within which the Division are able to function optimally and to provide leadership with regard to all financial matters.
- Develop and implement financial strategies, including systems, processes, procedures and policies by practising sound governance.
- Implement and enhance financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems.
- Develop and utilise activity-based financial analyses that provide insight into the division’s operations.
- Provide strategies in the set- up of the creditors department, tracking of purchase orders and procurement.
Ensure compliance with donor requirements and management of audits:
- Ensuring all costs incurred by the division are compliant with WHC policies as well as donor rules.
- Includes timing and planning of audit. Liaising with WHC Compliance, donors and auditors on issued raised and resolving such issues.
- Acceptable level of compliance issues will determine performance.
Financial reporting (division and donor):
- Manage the consolidation of relevant financial reporting data.
- Manage and review all month-end and year-end closing activities.
- Manage the preparation and communication of month-end and year-end financial statements.
- Produce accurate financial reports within set deadlines to relevant stakeholders.
- Plan, prepare and review annual budgets, including operations budget, for approval by stakeholders.
- Disseminate and present budgets to stakeholders (including donors).
- Monitor the budget through effective internal controls.
- Manage expenditures and report any irregularities.
- Manage cost recovery from projects.
- Produce variance reports and budget forecasts.
Stakeholder liaison, customer service and financial advice:
- Gain a full understanding of the division’s financial needs.
- Act as a strategic business partner in providing expert advice on the rectification of over- and under-spending.
- Advise the division on allocations and accruals of expenses.
- Communicate with senior management (including Leadership Groups) regarding cash flow and business developments.
Required minimum education and training
- BCom Honours in Accounting
Required minimum work experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Accounting and/or Financial Management
Additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Must have sound knowledge of financial management.
- Written and verbal communication skills required.
- Must have a broad knowledge and understanding of financial and management accounting principles.
- Must have advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office and accounting systems i.e. Sage X3.
- Attention to detail, meticulous and thorough.
- Must have the ability to influence and negotiate with all stakeholders and manage people.
- Able to prioritize own work load in meeting deadlines and handle pressure.
Should you be interested in applying for this vacancy, clearly state which vacancy you are applying for and forward your detailed CV to: Nomonde Gaju at [email protected]
Application Deadline: Friday, 19 July, 2019