To lead the provision of effective grants and financial management in a highly productive Medical Research Council / Wits University Research Unit addressing rural health and development. This is critical to internationally competitive population-based research and sustainability of a high performing Unit.
Of primary importance is effective management / leadership of the Unit’s financial operations which span rural and urban, service and community settings, along with national and international research and funding partners. Hence systems development and financial projections are vital, as is effective communication with Unit and University staff and a range of partners. The Unit enjoys an engaged working relationship with both Wits Health Consortium and Wits University. Staff based in Johannesburg and the Agincourt rural research centre will report to you.
Job Title: Grants Manager
Job Offer: (24 months fixed term contract)
Key performance areas:
- Prepare financial projections to maintain a 3-5 year funding horizon.
- Skillful financial budgeting and management of multiple projects of varying scale and complexity, supported by a variety of international and national science funders, to ensure adequate support to a core research platform.
Budget preparation and management
- Liaise with Unit Directorate and Senior Project Management on costing new grant proposals, and annual project projections.
- Prepare, submit and present financial reports specific to each project.
- Liaise with national / international funder representatives regarding budget and contract approvals, and transfer of funds.
- Allocate and manage budgets, expenditure and reporting as per contracts.
Compile financial and funder reports
- Review and approve financial reports for funders as per requirements, and follow up on their timely submission.
- Compile monthly management reports and review with the Unit Directorate.
Liaison with all relevant stakeholders
- Communicate and liaise with funder representatives, as well as project investigators and managers.
- Liaise with finance staff at the MRC/Wits-Agincourt offices in Bushbuckridge, WHC and Wits University.
Effective compliance with funder requirements
- Liaise with funder representatives and compliance officers around funder compliance requirements and ensure prompt and satisfactory resolution of any compliance issues.
- Keep updated on financial policies and procedures which are in line with funder, WHC and Wits University requirements.
Required minimum education and training
Postgraduate degree in Accounting or Management. A professional accounting course (at least Part B of CIMA or ACCA) advantageous.
Required minimum work experience
- 5 years working experience in senior Accounting and / or Financial Management
- 5 years Project Management experience
- Experience working in a grant-funded organisation
Additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Willing to travel to MRC/Wits-Agincourt offices in Bushbuckridge; occasional travel outside South Africa possible.
- Valid driver’s license and own vehicle.
- Knowledge of SAGEX3 and ORACLE advantageous.
- Able to negotiate effectively with stakeholders at all levels; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of funder and contractual requirements.
- Organised, thorough and accurate approach to work, with attention to detail.
- Resilient with demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines essential.
- Willing to work overtime and flexible hours at times.
- Advanced computer skills, particularly in MS Office.
Should you be interested in applying for this vacancy, clearly state which vacancy you are applying for and forward your detailed CV to: Sibusisiwe Ntuli at [email protected]
Application Deadline: 8th of March 2019.