This role will position World Vision South Africa (WVSA) for anticipated grant opportunities with local and international organisations. S/he will represent WVSA programmatic interests, leading the development of new and existing donors, coordinating and managing all aspects of the relationship process and grant giving cycle (including prospecting, acquisition, cultivation, and retention/growth).
This role will manage and coordinate all components of the proposal development process in close collaboration with the Integrated Programmes team [ministry] and other key departments. S/he will provide guidance and leadership to colleagues on sound Theory of Change practices, providing quality assurance in the proposal development process ensuring that proposals show-case WVSA’s credibility and competence to deliver impactful results for donors.
Job Title: Grant Business Development Lead
Location: South Africa
- Represent WVSA programmatic interests to new and existing donors and local partners, developing, building and maintaining strong relationships in line with local standards that result in WVSA being a partner of choice for potential funders.
- Ensure alignment with WV’s established external engagement and donor compliance standards, partnering steps, and response strategies.
- Ensure that all representation is tracked and recorded
- Identify key market resources, strategic partnerships and appropriate proposal development tools necessary for pursuing targeted funding opportunities successfully.
- Identify relevant upcoming funding opportunities through advanced intelligence gathering and prepare recommendations based on specific go/no-go decision criteria for approval by the Senior Leadership Team.
- Serve as the lead coordinator for all proposal development preparations and processes, and final In close collaboration with the Integrated Programmes team and other technical & financial departments:
- Manage pre-solicitation proposal preparations and bid planning.
- Ensure quality inputs to proposal technical submission.
- Manage inputs to the costing and budget application in alignment with the technical program design.
- Manage consultants recruited to support proposed development when relevant.
- Build effective working relationships with potential partners on proposal bids.
- Maintain accurate records of funding acquisition activities to ensure reliable income forecasts can be prepared and funding is available for strategic priorities.
- Provide timely updates to Senior Management, key WV support offices and the regional office with regard to funding opportunities for the office.
- Manage post submission and lessons learned processes including information management and reportingdecision liaison with the donor
Quality Assurance, Compliance and Accountability
- Ensure WVSA is compliant with the WV International (WVI) Common Grant Minimum Standards as well those WVI Common Minimum Standards for Sub-grantees.
- Contribute to collecting and sharing proposal development lessons learned after proposal submission.
- Ensure that Grant Acquisition and Management systems are in place using adequate tracking tools to support effective grant compliance and positive audit results, and that the IP team and other functional teams understand this system and follows it accordingly.
- Utilize Theory of Change expertise to guide and lead quality submissions (involving relevant technical and finance colleagues) that builds on evidence based approaches and is responsive to the guidelines and specifications outlined by the donor.
- For funded proposals, coordinate project start up workshops covering donor expectations as well as a range of tasks relating to end-to-end quality assurance and compliance issues ensuring that all grants are started excellently when handed over to program manager(s).
Strategy Development, Management and Support
- Provide technical support and leadership in strategy formulation, implementation plan, roll out of a Grants Acquisition and Management business plan, and monitoring, ensuring alignment with WVSA Strategy.
- Develop grant forecasting plans and annual growth plan for the country
- Lead the Grant Health Tracker Processes and ensure critical issues are escalated to Senior Leadership Team at the earliest opportunity.
- Support recruitment process to ensure timely identification and inclusion of qualified key personnel for proposals.
- Support technical brand positioning as needed.
- Provide support to the NRD Lead in developing and maintaining strategic documents, databases, communication campaigns and marketing events and or initiatives
- Maintain awareness of WVSA goals, objectives, organizational announcements, and activities. Reference and follow organizational policies and procedures, seeking clarity as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
List education, knowledge & skills, licenses preferred, and all experiences required to perform this position in a fully competent manner.
Minimum education, training and experience requirements to qualify for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, International Development, International Relations or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in tracking, prepositioning, designing high quality grants with proven track record of successful grant acquisition from bilateral and multilateral donors
- Experienced networker with strong skills in donor relations, negotiations and partnering with up to date knowledge of the donor landscape and trends in the humanitarian sector
- Solid understanding of the full grant cycle and of grant compliance procedures for major bilateral and multilateral donors. Experience with other types of grant makers in the Impact Investing space would be advantageous
- Proven experience and skills in project design and proposal writing
- Must be highly proficient in use of Microsoft Office products
- Highly proficient at written and spoken English
- Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities
Additional work experience required as a minimum qualification for this position.
- Must have the energy, dedication and attitude to succeed in a changing, complex and demanding work environment.
- Strong capacity building and facilitation skills
- High degree of negotiation, influencing and facilitation skills
- Experience with coordinating INGO’s and other key stakeholders.
- Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to pursue thoroughness and appropriate attention to detail.
- Ability to express self clearly in all forms of writing.
- Ability to identify gaps, trends, priorities and key issues.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environs and physical hardships.
- Ability to facilitate the creation of cross-functional project teams and the development of national strategies.
- Understands grants acquisition and business development from a process point of view and uses measurement and accountability systems effectively.
- Excellent time-management and prioritisation.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships
- Ability to interpret and present information with influence and impact.
- Self-starter who can work independently under pressure
- Demonstrates openness and transparency
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, International Development, International Relations or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in tracking, prepositioning, designing high quality grants with proven track record of successful grant acquisition from bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID/OFDA/DoL, UN, AusAID, EC/ECHO/DIPECHO, UN agencies, WFP, ADB/WB. Global Fund
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in managing grants from bilateral and multilateral donors
Additional work experience preferred for this position
- Work experience in low income, fragile context and complex environments
- Knowledge of WV’s field operations, either in the relief or development context
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible world view, emotional maturity and physical stamina
- Ability to manage work life and work without supervision
- Ability to work in and contribute to team building environment
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in psychologically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources
- Ability to maintain strong links with major NGO’s, donors and government agencies.
- Ability to explain WV’s work in relation to issues of poverty, power, justice and peace.
- Ability to travel internationally as needed.
- Ability to work with a reasonably level of comfort in stressful situations
Responses to the advert must be send [email protected]
Application Deadline: Friday, 18 September, 2020