World Vision South Africa (WVSA) started in 1967, one of the first WV offices in Africa. It has been both an internationally and locally funded resource office since then.
Currently World Vision South Africa is working in six out of nine provinces in the country, in Gauteng, Limpopo, KwaZulu-Natal, Eastern Cape, Free State and Western Cape, reaching nearly one million people. Over 50,000 children are registered with WVSA.
Job Title: Governance and Risk Advisor
Location: South Africa
Purpose of the role
- To provide advanced professional support to the National Director in Board of Directors. This position uses diplomacy and ensures confidentiality of all matters related to the Board’s work and meetings. The Governance Officer/Company Secretary interfaces with the Board members on a strategic and administrative level with work plans, organizational duties and with subject matter expertise related to the Board and Governance Committee meetings. The senior staff member is on the National Director’s team to support and facilitate the Board’s role of decision making and providing strategic direction to World Vision South Africa.
- This position will provide a pivotal function of leading and linking the governance, strategic, leadership and operational roles of the National Director and the Board of Directors of World Vision South Africa in a way that enhances overall organizational effectiveness and sustainability. In terms of the South African legal and fiduciary requirements, this position will; ensure that the organization complies with country, and organisational standards for both financial (audit) and legal practice, as well as maintaining standards of corporate governance (currently King III standards). This means that this role has non-voting, but standing membership of the Board.
- This position will provide Leadership in the design and development of Risk Management strategies, policies, frameworks, tools and processes, benchmarks based on the context and strategic objectives of WVSA.
- Will provide risk management and assurance services to senior management and the Board within the ministry to support the achievement of business objectives and help meet key stakeholder expectations.
- Provide direction and coordination on the entire risk management process from planning to reporting, and ensure that appropriate action is taken to mitigate exposure to risk across the National Office.
- Advise and counsel management, the Board and employees concerning risk avoidance, retention and transfer, and contracts management
- Office of WVI President
- Office of the Global Governance Director
- Office of Southern Africa Regional Leader
- WVSA linked Support Offices
- WVSA National Board of Directors
- South African Government and relevant Ministerial Departments
- National Director
- WVSA External Legal support
- WVSA External Auditors
- Internal Auditors
- WVSA External priority (key) relationships – Churches, Major Donors, Suppliers
In order to succeed, the Governance and Enterprise Adviser must be able to effectively communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that serves as an example to others, must be a role model, practice servant leadership and be an ambassador for WV ministry in areas where WVSA has operations and relationships
- Governance point person for implementation of all governance issues from the Regional Governance Advisor or the WVI Partnership
- Serves as the senior support staff to the Board ensuring all matters are handled effectively. Responsible for managing the preparation and results of Board’s meetings and their documentation.
- Work proactively with the National Director and senior leadership Team to ensure Board approved policies are carried out in the organization.
- Provide coordination and prepare logistics and materials for Board meetings and members
- Developing Board and Committee packs and co-ordinate and organize the flow of information to direct
- ors, including preparing and distributing board packages for meetings in liaison with the ND’s Office.
- Distributing of board minutes to directors following the meeting in liaison with the ND’s Office.
- Ensure all parties reports are in at a timely manner for the Board.
- Responsible for organizing Friends of World Vision events
- Liaise with Board Development & Regional Governance Advisor (RGA).
- Ensures legal documents are signed and up to date.
- To facilitate the internal communication between Board of Directors, Senior Leadership Team and staff, where appropriate
- Manage Board budget, coordinate expense reimbursement for Board members and report to Governance Dept. annual budget.
- Provide coordination for the Board when organizing major events: (like Annual Retreat, Annual Day of Prayer and ADP visits).
- Facilitate Board Self Review process. Liaison with the Self Review Committee during period of Peer Review.
- Coordination of Transition process as needed
Enterprise Risk Management:
- Provide leadership in facilitating and advising all departments in assessing risks and designing risk management programs within their own departments.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of systems, policies and procedures for the identification, collection and analysis of risk related information.
- Support the SLT to develop and maintain an updated Risk Register to prioritize specific risks to WVSA Ministry and ensure that regular monitoring of risk is carried out by Management.
- Contribute towards the maintenance of effective internal control systems in the entire World vision office by ensuring that risk identification is embedded in the routine operating procedures of the organization
- Provide professional leadership and work with the Finance Audit and Risk Committee to contribute to the development and implementation of the organization’s risk management program in a manner that fulfils the mission and strategic goals of the organization
- Coordinate with the Finance Audit and Risk Committee to ensure that WVSA complies with donor (grant requirements) and government (statutory and legal) regulations and identify risk areas. Risks identified incorporated and updated in the risk register.
- Support management to map all risks at ADP and NO level and develop/monitor mitigation actions.
- Facilitate training and dissemination of the risk management guidelines, tools and staff awareness on responsibilities in carrying out the risk management program
- Actively participates in Finance Audit and Risk Committee meetings
- Provision of input /validation for the development of ministry risk profiles and implementation of corporate policy on risk
- Contribute towards the maintenance of effective internal control systems in the entire World vision office (National and ADP).
- Record, report and review any reports submitted to the unit in relation to any irregularities or potential losses within World Vision.
- Measure the effectiveness of programs such as the Whistle Blowers/Tip-Off Anonymous program and implement initiatives that would strengthen the program
QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING
- Bachelor’s degree with a Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of 3-5 years working experience at senior management level
- Specialized in general principles, legal and regulatory aspects of corporate governance.
- Application experience of governance rules, reports and communications of a Board of Directors.
- Has completed certification course or in the process of qualification in the field of governance (e.g. ICSA, Chartered Secretary, etc.).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to summarize lengthy discussions on complex topics and identify key themes and decisions clearly and effectively expresses ideas, thoughts and concepts verbally, and in written/graphic form, using correct and appropriate grammar, organization and structure.
- Expert influencing skills to work effectively with a large and diverse set of constituencies and stakeholders to achieve consensus decision-making. Understands multiple perspectives and hidden agendas. Makes and maintains relationship at the highest levels including current and potential board members.
- Cross-organizational work experience required, including project management involving organizational leadership and event/meeting management.
- Asserts own ideas, yet gains the support and commitment of others. Explores positions and alternatives to reach outcomes that gain the acceptance of all parties.
- Represents a corporate perspective to others rather than departmental or functional point of view.
- In-depth working knowledge of grant management
- Working to expert knowledge of contracting concepts,
- Ability to perform in complex cross-functional business environment.
- Global perspective of business environment and technology.
- Understands fundraising, relief, and development and advocacy issues, including operational consequences.
- Significant ability to influence senior corporate management.
- Ability to establish and implement departmental goals and objectives.
Other Competencies / Attributes:
- Must be a committed Christian who is able to stand above denominational and cultural diversity challenges;
- Must be able to provide spiritual leadership within but not limited to chapel and daily devotions;
- Ability to identify strategic change opportunities and make workable recommendations accordingly.
- Strong leadership with ability to positively influence others to support strategic initiatives.
- Commitment to continuous learning and willingness to keep abreast of new developments in the field of development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to convey complex technical concepts and recommendations to non- technical staff at all levels, in a clear and concise style.
- Self-Manager, analytical and critical thinker, able to work with tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent projects, while participating in strategic planning.
- Teamwork and Respect for diversity with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for all. Also ability to coordinate and lead cross-functional teams.
- Strong supervisory skills with ability to effectively build the capacity of others and accelerate organizational development.
- Strong ability to use personal computers especially MS Office and Lotus Notes
Submission & Deadline
If you are the right candidate, please email your letter of motivation (Max 1 page) and CV (Max 5 pages) with contactable references to Ms Lele Ngcongwane at the email: [email protected]. Only short listed candidates who meet the minimum criteria, will be contacted.
Application Deadline: Sunday the 28th of August