The World Wide Web Foundation was established in 2009 by web inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee to advance the open web as a public good and a basic right. We are an independent, international organisation fighting for digital equality — a world where everyone can access the web and use it to improve their lives.
We’re looking for a Communications Manager to develop communication strategies for the delivery of key reports and products. The Communications Manager will act as a strategic partner with research colleagues, helping them position research to maximise impact. You’ll work with designers and creatives to ensure finished products are designed with a consistent and compelling brand identity. You’ll be a creative, vivid writer with strong project management skills and impressive attention to detail.
Job Title: Communications Manager – Publications and Content
Location: South Africa
This is a full time position and the successful candidate can work remotely from any major media hub.
Strategy and Planning
- Manage the timeline of publishing products as appropriate to ensure these are tied to external news hooks where possible, and to ensure smooth workload across the team.
- Develop communications strategies for the delivery of key reports and products and act as a strategic partner with research colleagues, helping them position research to maximise impact.
- Produce project management plans where necessary, liaising closely with all relevant stakeholders.
- Assess and manage production needs for the communications team: brochures, hand-outs, online interactives, etc. that can help achieve the team’s goals.
- Maintain up-to-date communications planning calendar, working across organisation to ensure all key dates are inputted in a timely fashion and researching externally where necessary to identify opportunities.
- Contribute to overall communications and brand strategy.
- Manage designers and creatives to ensure finished products are designed with a consistent and compelling brand identity. This includes report design, infographics, brochures, pamphlets, website interactives and visuals.
- Manage translations of knowledge products.
- Input WF and A4AI products into design templates and ensure professional production.
- Copyedit and where needed copywrite for knowledge products, using external contractors to deliver this where needed.
- Draft blogs, press releases and op-eds where appropriate for knowledge products.
- Update media lists and create new lists for press campaigns.
- Support on creating social media content to promote knowledge product launches, working with the social media channel manager on strategy, timing and ensuring organisation-wide key messages are consistent.
- Draft newsletter content for knowledge product launches,and work with the newsletter manager to agree best timing to engage our supporters.
- Assist with media relations in advance of major knowledge product publication to secure media opportunities that bolster wider communications and branding efforts.
Monitoring & Measurement
- Where appropriate, compile social media, website, download and media statistics for each knowledge product launch to feed into quarterly communications reports.
- Lead on production of annual reports, external facing impact reports and/or financial reports – in close collaboration with the Finance & Operations Director.
Essential knowledge and experience
- At least four years’ experience with progressive levels of responsibility in communications, PR, publishing, writing or related field
- Strong project management skills and experience with a variety of project and budget management tools
- Impressive attention to detail a must, with a track record of flawless copyediting
- Creative and entrepreneurial, with demonstrated success in coming up withbold approaches to grab attention and engage audiences
- Vivid writer, able to present difficult concepts in clear, simple English and/or incompelling images
- Track record of working with complex, research based material to distill keymessages and extract facts, quotes and stories that will drive coverage
- Persuasive, assertive and persistent in selling in stories/interviews
- Highly motivated and organised, thriving under pressure, pursuing targets aggressively
Desirable knowledge and experience
- Experience in working with a celebrity patron or founder
- Understanding and experience of more than one global media market
- Knowledge/experience of communications work in a developing country
- Contacts in the tech/development journalism world
- Strong visual/graphic design sensibility
- French or Spanish language skills
Interested candidates can click on the link below:
Application Deadline: Friday, 19 June, 2020