Founded in 1961, WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature) is a non-governmental organization working on issues regarding the conservation, research and restoration of the environment. It is the world’s largest conservation organization with over 5 million members and 20 million supporters worldwide. WWF has 6,500 staff globally working in more than 100 countries and supporting around 1,300 conservation and environmental projects.
Job Title: Regional Director – Africa
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reporting to: The Executive Director, Operations/COO – WWF International
The Regional Director will be responsible for developing and leading WWF in Africa so that it is highly influential; is able to shape the sustainability agenda of Africa domestically and globally to deliver WWF’s global conservation priorities; and plays a leadership role to achieve the conservation impact within the WWF network.
Other key functions of this executive leadership position include:
- Leading the strategic planning, conservation strategy and future institutional development of WWF in Africa as the leading conservation INGO in Africa
- Providing thought leadership on key issues
- Securing key partnerships and high level political commitment within and outside Africa to deliver conservation impact
- Developing a highly effective, entrepreneurial and impact driven Africa leadership team.
- Building strong and high-performing offices in Africa equipped with core capacity to deliver impact,
- Ensuring the fulfilment of the organizations mission of ‘people living in harmony with nature’
- Ensuring the delivery of the conservation strategy and implementation of initiatives on the ground
Required Functional Skills:
- At least 10 years professional experience in a leadership role with demonstrated success in conservation and leading national, regional or international organisations and a track record of track of leading and building an organisation
- Proven knowledge and experience of environmental and/or developmental non-government organisations
- Proven knowledge and experience of human rights and community based approaches to conservation with experience in designing and implementing conservation projects on the ground
- Experience working with and influencing high level government officials and other key senior stakeholders in Africa;
- Good understanding of key conservation challenges in Africa and linkages with global priorities;
- Advanced degree in Environment/Conservation related areas, Business Management, International Relations/Development or other related fields;
- Exposure to and understanding of policy and partnership related work;
- Prior knowledge of the WWF Network an advantage;
- Excellent written and spoken English. French will be an advantage.
Required Behavioural Skills:
- A proven leader with the capability of growing an organisation’s impact and building future leadership and talent in the organization;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to represent an organization at a range of local and international fora, in the media and with the general public;
- High level negotiation, collaborating and influencing skills and the capacity to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels in the business, not-for-profit, scientific and political communities;
- Networks at the highest levels of Government and Business;
- Very strategic and demonstrated experience in developing, implementing and evaluating strategic plans;
- Track record of building organizational talent by nurturing performance culture and encouraging empowerment and delegation;
- Decisive, courageous and resilient;
- Passion for conservation and WWF’s mandate;
- Committed to equal opportunity employment policies;
- High level of integrity;
- Experience and a good understanding of operating in different cultural environment and managing remote teams;
- Ability to drive change and high performance;
- Available to travel extensively;
- Demonstrates WWF behaviors in way of working: Strive for Impact, Listen Deeply, Collaborate Openly, Innovate Fearlessly;
- Adheres to WWF’s values: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.
Does this sound like you? If you feel that you possess these qualities as well as the skills and experience we are looking for and are interested in exploring this exciting and challenging opportunity we would love to hear from you!
Please view the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application to [email protected]
Application Deadline: Monday, 1 April, 2019