Anglo American plc is a global leader in the mining of platinum and diamonds, with significant interests in coal, base and ferrous metals, with operations spanning 45 countries. Our businesses are involved in an array of value adding processes and products, with activities ranging from exploration through to mining and production.
Anglo American Thermal Coal is one of the world’s largest private sector coal producers and exporters, with operations in South Africa, Botswana, South America and Canada. Anglo American Thermal Coal’s strategy is to develop balanced and profitable thermal coal assets, supplying international markets as well as domestic customers. This is being achieved by expanding and acquiring operations and by forming strategic alliances that facilitate, protect and augment this strategy.
An exciting opportunity with a rewarding remuneration package now exists to join Anglo Coal South Africa, Rock Engineering department as Profession in Training.
Professional in Training: Rock Engineering – Graduates (N/G) REF NO: RE007/TT
The successful incumbent will be responsible to ensure that he/she gains enough practical work experience in the Rock Engineering function to gain an understanding of Anglo business principles and values.
- Complete Development Programme within a 24 months time frame through monitoring and development progress according to the programme and compiling a quarterly progress report for Rocking Engineering/Talent Manager
- Integrate key learning’s and offer input, advise and value – add recommendations after each phase of the developmental programme through presenting key learning’s to the relevant Management Team after each phase is complete
- Attend all formal courses and seminars as prescribed in the Development programme through actively participating in all opportunities for development.
- Act in the capacity of other roles per discipline as and when required through delivering on role outcomes as expected in all opportunities for development
- Act in the capacity of other roles per discipline as and when required through delivering on role outcomes as expected in an acting capacity
- Identify, propose and participate in improvement or Value-add project relevant to the Rock Engineering Discipline
- Fulfil role as a Professional in Training : Rock Engineering Competently through contributing to team cohesion and effectiveness
- Identify and engage with technical mentor and non –technical coach
You will need:
- Bsc Degree in Mining Engineering or related Science fields(NQF Level 5)
- Experience in Operational or Service Department in Anglo Coal, South Africa as vacation student / bursary holder will be an advantage
- Sound references from previous employers or learning institutions
- Proven vacation work within the industry / prior temporary working experience
- Proven completion of a project relevant to field of study
- Basic understanding of relevant legislation pertaining to the Mining Industry including the Mine Health Act
- Theoretical knowledge in Strata Control will be an advantage
- Basic knowledge of Anglo Coal Engineering and Operational policies, procedures, standards and guidelines will be an advantage
- Basic knowledge of Anglo Coal ,South Africa Business principles and values
- Computer skills (MS Word)
- Must have a sense of maturity and a passion for learning
- Self starter and motivated
- Business skills and analytical skills
- Problem solving and numerate skills
- Posses the potential to grow and be developed
– Have sound knowledge of safety systems and standards and high regard to safety, regulations and standards.
– Valid South African driver’s license.
– In possession of or able to obtain a certificate of fitness.
Interested candidates must send their CV’s to Thembi Thabete at this email [email protected]a or fax to 0866536371 or visit www.angloamerican.co.uk
Offer Valid till 31st July 2010