Anova is an NGO that empowers people and changes lives. Good health and quality of life is what motivates us to provide healthcare solutions and support for those who need it most.
Job Title: Medical Officer
Salary: Market Related
Job Type: Permanent
Sectors: Medical, NGO & Non-profit
The successful candidate will provide advanced clinical care to patients at DOH facilities. The doctor will work closely with Physicians & Infectious Disease specialists, to provide clinical assessment of eligible patients for ART initiation; start them on ART and manage those referred with complications of HIV or TB; in line with Department of Health guidelines.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Provide clinical care for all patients with HIV, TB and co-morbid non-communicable diseases (Adults, pregnant and breastfeeding women, children and Adolescents) referred to you by Anova & DOH clinicians.
- Work closely with data team & facility-based clinicians to identify patients in need of advanced clinical care (Low CD4 <200; WHO stage 3 and 4; children <5yrs; unsuppressed VL on 1st and 2nd line ART regimen; unstable co-morbidities etc.).
- Establish clinical services and or referral pathways for patients in need of advanced clinical care (e.g., Immunological failure/ 2nd line failure/ Renal impairment/ liver disease etc.
- Provide clinical care for patients diagnosed with DS-TB and DR TB (Drug Resistant TB) managed at all sites, including decentralized sites.
- Provide tele-mentoring and in-person mentoring for clinicians (DOH & Anova) in need of guidance on clinical patient management.
- Support linkage to ART for Primary Health Care facilities and hospital in-patients who are eligible to start ART; including through DSD.
- Manage patients with complications of HIV, TB, ART, or TB medication.
- Coach and train junior doctors and nursing staff on HIV management to ensure transfer of skills and knowledge.
- Establish and maintain functional referral networks with referring CHC and PHC facilities!
- Support Quality Improvement activities that result in achievement of 95-95-95 for HIV and TB for PHC sites and the 3 Hospitals in Sedibeng District Use data to identify facilities with highest number of patients requiring advanced clinical care.
- Identify training needs for DOH & Anova clinicians and facilitate access to training.
- Conduct in-service trainings for DOH & Anova clinicians as required.
- Closely monitor VL completion & suppression rate in supported sub-districts; work with Anova roving team to provide intensified support in facilities with low completion or suppression rates.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
- MBChB degree with valid HPCSA registration as Independent Practitioner.
- Minimum 2 years’ post community service clinical experience.
- HIV Management diploma or training an advantage.
- At least 2 years’ experience in comprehensive HIV management
- Good knowledge of Antiretroviral therapy, TB and chronic medication.
- Demonstrate initiative, and the ability to develop and carry out work plans and solve problems.
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Good report writing skills.
- Proficiency in Ms Office.
Application Deadline: July 06 2023
In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Preference will be given to persons with disabilities.
Anova Health Institute is a provider of essential health services and therefore has a mandatory vaccination policy. Should your application be successful, you will be required to submit your proof of vaccination before commencing employment in the role.
Applicants who have not been contacted within 4 weeks of submitting their application should assume that they have not been successful.
Unsolicited CVs from agencies will not be paid agency fees should their candidate be placed at Anova.
For more information on Anova visit our website: www.anovahealth.co.za