CHIVA South Africa is dedicated to improving healthcare for children and adolescents living with HIV in South Africa. CHIVA SA provides mentoring, teaching and support to healthcare professionals caring for the country’s most vulnerable population – its children and adolescents. The Organisation shares expertise to build skills and capacity, resulting in a generation of treatment South African health professionals that is better equipped to provide young people living with HIV the expert and care that they need.
Job Title: Psychosocial Advisor
Location: uMzinyathi District, South Africa. The office will be based in Tugela Ferry.
Employment type: this is a fixed term contract for 6 months (commencing January/February 2020).
The purpose of this position is to work under the support and supervision of the Clinical Nurse Mentor, the Psychosocial Advisor is responsible for the implementation of targeted teaching and mentoring to all cadres of healthcare workers in 20 selected clinics across uMzinyathi district. The aim of the programme is to improve the skills and competencies of healthcare workers to manage the complex and diverse needs of children and adolescents living with HIV.
The nature of the work necessitates that it is an inherent condition of employment that the incumbent be a competent, proficient driver of a manual vehicle, who is willing and able to drive daily to fulfil the commitments of their job description.
- Contribute to the day to day teaching and mentoring of all cadres of healthcare staff engaged in managing children and adolescents, including those living with HIV
- Provide on-site and remote (telephonic) mentoring support to 20 selected clinics in uMzinyathi District
- Provide guidance (through teaching and/or mentoring) to all cadres of workers who are providing healthcare services to children and adolescents on specific aspects identified in the assessments, including:-
- Disclosure of HIV status
- Adherence to chronic medications, including ART
- Support group benefits, challenges, topics
- Support the promotion of sexual reproductive health and youth services for adolescents
- PCR/Finger prick testing and interpretation of results
- Assess the quality and efficiency of services delivered to children and adolescents and assist with development of interventions to close any identified gaps
- Social Auxiliary Worker, Social Worker or Counsellor
- Have experience in child and adolescent management/counselling; notably around HIV and sexual health
- Have experience in counselling children, adolescents and their families about HIV (disclosure)
- Experience of working with children and adolescents who know their HIV status
- Experience providing adherence counselling to children and ,adolescents and their caregivers
- Experience of working with other stakeholders (healthcare workers, parents, caregivers etc) to enable disclosure of HIV status to children and adolescents
- Teaching and mentoring experience
- Knowledge of national policies and guidelines regarding primary healthcare services, HIV, TB, child and adolescent health
- A valid driving licence and willingness to drive daily for work purpose essential
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Computer literate (Microsoft Suite)
- Good oral and written English
- Willing to be based in/work from Tugela Ferry, KwaZulu-Natal
Submit your CV and a covering letter in which you are requested to highlight how you specifically meet the minimum requirements for this role to [email protected]
Application Deadline: Thursday, 5 December, 2019