The International Training and Education Center for Health (I-TECH) is a United States of America federally-funded project which supports the development of HIV/AIDS care and treatment training initiatives in 25 developing countries acutely impacted by the global AIDS epidemic. I-TECH is an initiative of the University of Washington Schools of Medicine and Public Health & Community Medicine. Its Central Office is headquartered in Seattle, Washington and it currently supports eight international offices, including one in Pretoria, South Africa.
I-TECH South Africa’s Goal:
To support the South African government in strengthening national health systems to ensure delivery of high quality, sustainable health care services.
Job Title: Data Analyst
Position reference: DA101
Supervisor: Health Information Systems Advisor
Department: Programs (Strategic Information)
Position Duration: Fixed Term Contract (01 October 2018 – 30 September 2019)
Brief Summary of Position
I-TECH South Africa is looking for a Data Analyst. The primary responsibility of this role will be to support the Strategic Information team in database data collection, management, maintenance and analysis. The analyst will be responsible for developing and implementing data management protocols and leading the analysis and reporting of data from I-TECH supported systems. In addition, the analyst will be required to support the team by conducting relevant trainings for capturing and using systems as well as assisting with helpdesk support.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Programme Planning and Coordination
- Support the HIS Advisor in the monitoring and evaluation of project outcomes and ensure high quality project deliverables.
- Participate in the development of team workplans and project plans.
- Contribute to the reporting of activities on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Update Project tracker systems such as Redmine as required.
- Engage with stakeholders to plan activities and scope new requests.
- Build effective partnerships with colleagues and other relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in the on-going calls and meetings with the Technical team as needed.
Technical Support and Programme Implementation
- Coordinate and gather data systems requirements to ensure efficient and quality information systems development, utilisation and maintenance.
- Ensure data systems testing are carried out regularly to identify challenges and inform maintenance and support requirements.
- Be the first line for troubleshooting data systems challenges and recommend solutions as needed.
- Develop data flows and process documentation for users including programmers and end users.
- Develop SOPs, training manuals, guidelines and other documents to support the implementation/roll out of new and existing systems.
- Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the data systems and the information at all times.
- Develop products and technical reports in collaboration stakeholders to support the projects.
- Provide recommendations on activity innovations or new activities that align with donor and DOH priorities.
- Facilitate trainings and systems update sessions for all implementing partners as needed.
- Provide clean and accurate raw data from the systems on request
- Conduct data analysis and visualisation and provide comprehensive reports or presentations as required.
- Contribute to continuous quality improvement of systems in place based on findings.
Education and experience requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Research, Epidemiology, Statistics or related field is required
- At least five years’ work professional experience in data and data-driven information systems management.
- Ability to analyze and interpret technical information.
- Ability to interpret results and find trends in data using descriptive statistics.
- Demonstrated experience with quantitative statistical analysis software (i.e., Stata, SPSS, R, R-Studio)
- Demonstrated ability to communicate key findings of results for decision-making, including development of visualizations, dashboards, and impactful technical reports.
- Demonstrated ability to translate technical requirements into simplified language.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate between colleagues with a variety of cultural backgrounds in a respectful and diplomatic manner. Thorough knowledge of relational databases. Experience with user training. Willing to learn, and work in a high-pressure environment.
Applicants are required to quote the relevant Position Titles and position reference mentioned above when submitting their applications via email to [email protected] by September 7, 2018 No late applications will be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Preference will be given to South African applicants