ITPC is a worldwide network of community activists united by our vision of a longer, healthier, more productive life for people living with HIV and/or AIDS (PLWHA). ITPC’s mission is to enable communities in need to access HIV treatment. ITPC was formed in 2003 at a historic meeting of 125 HIV treatment activists, mostly from the global south, that took place in Cape Town, South Africa.
In 2005, ITPC registered as a company limited by guarantee. It is was incorporated in Botswana under the Botswana Companies Act. Until 2018 the Botswana entity has being operating as the Global office. In 2016, ITPC-Global registered as a not for profit organisation incorporated under the Companies Act of South Africa.
Job Title: Consultant
Employment type: 3 months contract.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
The purpose of the position is to provide a resource to support our global team. The Consultant will be responsible for performing accounting and financial functions. The Consultant is expected to function with a minimum amount of oversight while performing complex accounting work that require the application of accounting principles and standards to the financial activities of ITPC.
- Reports to: The consultant will report to the Director of Finance but work closely with other Finance Unit staff, who will be their contact persons within the organization and External consultant who are implementing SAGE Evolution.
- The Accounting Consultant will provide support services to maintain and to ensure adequate Financial and Accounting implementation and management of Financial resources in line with the ITPC rules and regulations.
- As such, the Consultant is required to:
- Task 1: Reconcile Trial Balances-closing balances for FY 2018 and ensure that FY 2019 Trial Balances- opening balances are accurate as per Audited Financial Statements. Ensure adjusted to reflect the exact financial position at the year-end.
- Task 2: Assist Director of Finance with smooth transition from previously used accounting system to a new accounting system: SAGE Evolution.
- Task 3: Support Director of Finance on day-to-day accounting functions:
- Ensuring the day to day accounting transactions for FY 2019 is accurately captured on the accounting system and backlog cleared;
- Perform all month-end procedures;
- Monthly Bank Reconciliations;
- Reconcile all Inter-company transactions (Inter-Funds) and providing schedules and journals for clearing/ eliminating the accounts for January 2019-current consolidation.
- Task 4: Preparation, maintenance and updating of Fixed Assets Register as per the Standard Accounting Benchmarks.
- More specifically, the Consultancy shall consist of providing support to the Director of Finance to:
- Assist with Reconciliation of Fiscal Sponsorship-Tides /ITPC due to/from and close-out of fiscal Sponsorship agreement;
- Develop correct and appropriate accounts mapping-chart of accounts from previously used accounting software-FUNDEZ to new accounting software SAGE Evolution;
- Ensure that Non-revenue accounts for FY are closed with their respective accurate closing balances for the year-2018 and used as opening-take-on Balances for FY 2019;
- Assist with forensic accounting to establish and verify take-on balances from previously used accounting system-FundEZ and Audited Financial Statement and thereafter correcting journals if required before opening balances for FY 2019 are transferred onto New Accounting Software-SAGE Evolution;
- Ensuring the day to day accounting transactions of payments, other miscellaneous expenses are entered into SAGE Evolution on a daily basis. Working knowledge with regards to basic data entry, report generation in SAGE Evolution environment are essential;
- Preparation, maintenance and updating of Fixed Assets Register as per the Standard Accounting Benchmarks. Calculation of Year depreciations and posting of the journals.
- Inter-company (Inter-Funds) reconciliations and providing schedules and journals for clearing the accounts for January 2019-current;
- Maintain journal entries and all ledger accounts and ensure reconciliation of all statements according to GAAP as assigned by director of finance;
- Assist with the financial and accounting close-out activities for our Global Fund project, gathering and consolidating financial data, completing adjusting entries, and inter-fund reconciliations in order to complete the PUDR and audit readiness preparation;
- Any other accounting and finance work assigned by the Director of Finance and Executive Director;
- Passing regular journal entries, making month end provisions, month end closings and preparation of Monthly Profit and Loss account;
- Preparation and generation of Management information /reports as when required.
Payment Terms: The consultant will be remunerated by ITPC-Global. ITPC provides a competitive consultant fee based on Consultant’s experience and skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Accounting or related field with 7-8 years relevant experience in NGO Sector, or
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Accounting or related field with 4-6 years relevant experience in NGO sector in similar position;
- Working experience in core finance, accounting functions required;
- Experience of not for profit sector a must;
- Professional Accountancy Certification such as ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW, ICAS, CPA, SAIPA, CA or equivalent is required;
- Experience with USAID, Unitiad, Global Fund, Aidsfonds, DFID, EU, Open Society Foundation or other UN agencies;
- Technical accounting skills, especially in relation accounting standards, statutory accounting and Specialized knowledge in IAS and IFRS;
- Experience with project-multi donor accounting;
- Financial rigor comfort working in multiple currencies transaction;
- Strong analytical skills and highly numerate;
- Hands-on, involved approach to working; proven ability to be detail-oriented;
- Adaptable and positive view of continuous improvement;
- Strong IT skills, including accounting and reporting packages (Sage, Pastel) and especially Excel;
- Sage Evolution experience required;
- Ability to explain financial information to non-financial staff in a clear and concise way;
- Service oriented, customer focused approach, with the ability to understand the user’s / Non-Finance perspective and respond appropriately;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, demonstrating high levels of personal integrity and professional credibility;
- Comfort working collaboratively and managing staff both in-person & virtually (using Zoom, Skype and other tools;
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to work with colleagues from different cultural; backgrounds and perspectives (teams embedded in different cultures/countries);
- Works under limited guidance; accountable to complete work assignments;
- Strong written and oral communication (including presentation) skills in English is required.
- In addition to English language, the ability to work in another language is a plus;
- Experience in International Development sector;
Persons living with HIV and/or HCV and who are from key affected populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested qualified consultants or small financial management advisory firms are invited to submit a 5-page proposal that includes the following:
- Expression to Interest
- CV of Consultant
- to [email protected] with the subject line “Financial and Accounting Consultant” – : LAST NAME, First Name” Recruitment is on-going until a Consultant is engaged. No phone calls please, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: Thursday, 10 October, 2019